Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

I honestly have no idea. There are, like, a dozen call duck owners on the forum, I have no clue why you guys fixate on Wobs. :p Is he unusual for a duck? I admit I've got no baseline so I have no idea if the things he does are normal or not.

We fixate on him because you keep posting adorable videos. If you'll just go ahead and send him to me, I'll stop fixating online and do it in person instead.
big_smile.png

We fixate on him because you keep posting adorable videos. If you'll just go ahead and send him to me, I'll stop fixating online and do it in person instead.
big_smile.png

LOL! Well I guess I just do what any parent does, take gobs of photos of my widdle baby! :p My perpetually diaper-clad, non-verbal, unadaptive, highly disruptive baby. Eh. ...Hmm.

Well he's still cute, right?

I didn't know they were so loud and the flying part is scary. Wouldn't want one to escape. I read somewhere they were created by people to quack to call in larger ducks for hunters. And I suppose their exceptional cuteness is just a by product of that selective breeding? Of course cuteness is subjective...

Julie--This-->
is kind of what a Call sounds like, though that one isn't nearly as loud as mine are. I'll try to get a recording of mine while I'm off over the holidays.

We fixate on him because you keep posting adorable videos. If you'll just go ahead and send him to me, I'll stop fixating online and do it in person instead. :D
Jade,you are hilarious!! And you took the words re Wobbles and our fixation right out of my mouth. The videos and Amy's funny posts bring the little cutie to life.

Julie--This-->
is kind of what a Call sounds like, though that one isn't nearly as loud as mine are. I'll try to get a recording of mine while I'm off over the holidays.
yay for the video. I'll take a look when I get a break. My coworkers will look at me askance if they hear it. Thanks for the link. And loom forward to vids of yours when you are off.

Calls have a fascinating history, actually! They're considered the oldest domestic breed; so old in fact, we aren't entirely sure where they originated. We think somewhere in Asia, and then they eventually ended up in Europe, where their popularity took off. The fact that the breed is so ancient is also why pure calls tend to breed true. Some have tried to breed "quiet calls" but failed miserably. :p Also can't say if the forerunners were as cute and pudgy, but I'm gonna say that no, they weren't. Back then the only thing that mattered was size and noise factor. If you look at old-school shar peis, pugs, bulldogs and the like, they looked NOTHING like their modern counterparts!

As for quality, of course a low-quality call makes a great pet! The breed standards are mostly cosmetic, anyhow. Mostly. If you do get a low quality bird or a cross, it may not be quite as cute but it will still be just as cuddly. <3 
I had no idea that they were that old of a breed. Amazing. And as you mentioned old vs new in the breed I find it fascinating that there have been changes like that. And over time it's cool to consider that the chubbiness and cuteness came to be as major characteristics today. I mean, how do you breed the cheeks look?

Back
Top Bottom