Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Pics
I have now read the whole thread and now I am even more excited about getting calls.

My oldest 2 children decided they both wanted to start showing calls, after the most recent poultry show. They both shows chickens now and are making the jump to ducks.

We bought some hatching eggs from pidgey as a trial run and had one to hatch. Now we have more knowledge and are getting some magpie eggs from a breeder.

Now we are looking for some buff color for my son. Does anyone know a breeder selling buff eggs?
ep.gif
you read the whole thread?!?! Wow! I don't know any buff breeders unfortunately.

when a duckling makes an internal pip, it only has limited air to make a pip, right? so does anyone ever make a small hole in the end of the egg (where the aircell is) after the chick makes the internal pip, to make sure they don't suffocate? I thought I heard of this before but idk
don't want my question to get buried..

I know I read on here about making a small hole in the end with the air sac, if it had already internally pipped. I'm not sure where I read it though . It took me several days to read this thread and a couple other call duck posts , so they are all running together.:lol:

Do you sell/Ship hatching eggs by any chance?
I don't think I've posted these two yet. These are a Silver Appleyard pair I purchased from Wapsi Waterfowl 3 weeks ago. The crew at the time. The new pair of Appleyards at the back, the Blue Butterscotch pair to the front, and Gator the Apricot Silver to the left. The Appleyard hen taking a bath in everyones drinking water! :idunno I've really enjoyed seeing everyones Calls! :)

Spent a rainy weekend reading through all the posts and pictures in this thread. I am anxiously waiting for my first batch of ordered eggs to hatch' have 15 days down. You all have gorgeous calls. Its been 18 yes since I had my call ducks and can't wait for my new babies.

I wouldn't put a hole in the egg unless it's been over 24 hrs since initial internal pipping has occurred and then I usually put the hole at the very top of the egg still giving the duckling the opportunity to do it's own external pip. I don't go in and help unless I know for sure it's necessary but I've been doing this a while so I sorta have it down to a science it seems. :)

I should be able to offer some eggs from my buff calls in a few months...right now I have the first couple of batches sold and my gals have decided to suddenly put a halt on all that laying they were doing!!! Argghh...I'm trying to be patient though and realize that before long I'll have eggs coming out of my ears!

I had a single call duck egg hatch and I hope to have more hatch in a week. Will this little guy be okay for a week by himself, or should he have a chick friend?

you can put a little teddy bear or something in there for him to snuggle with and a non-breakable mirror helps too! as long as the "chick friend" is small and isn't abusive, you can try that as well...it may help him to find the food and water easier if he has an experienced buddy to show him the ropes. :) I have chicks and ducklings in together right now too! They get along fabulously but when the ducks get a little older, the chicks will go to their own brooder. Ducks tend to get a wet mess EVERYWHERE...not something the little chicks appreciate too much!
lau.gif

I'd love to have a few of your eggs. Would you ship to WA state?

I wouldn't put a hole in the egg unless it's been over 24 hrs since initial internal pipping has occurred and then I usually put the hole at the very top of the egg still giving the duckling the opportunity to do it's own external pip. I don't go in and help unless I know for sure it's necessary but I've been doing this a while so I sorta have it down to a science it seems. :)

I should be able to offer some eggs from my buff calls in a few months...right now I have the first couple of batches sold and my gals have decided to suddenly put a halt on all that laying they were doing!!! Argghh...I'm trying to be patient though and realize that before long I'll have eggs coming out of my ears!

Back
Top Bottom