Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

The "Girlfriend" I bought for Chuck turned out to be a boyfriend. So I'm now looking for two call hens. If I can get a white hen I'll sell my blue magpie drake.

A blue magpie call duck?? Is it an indoor duck? (Please say yes!)

Nope :p His name is Tuck and he lives outside with Chuck. Tuck was previously Pippa. :)

Last edited:
Here is a good diagram on wing clip..... Clipping is very easy....esp. Calls. I've clipped Muscovy also and they are not the mildest, most cooperative duckies...
big_smile.png

http://www.cornerstonefarm.net/wingdemo.html

I leave the first flight feather in clipped on both wings ( also another form of the beauty look ) but I cut both wings , that way if they get up on a high place they can fly down but can't get any lift.

I haven't really payed attention to how long. If I can see ones wings growing back out I'll just put then in the coop and clip them again .

Here is a good diagram on wing clip..... Clipping is very easy....esp. Calls. I've clipped Muscovy also and they are not the mildest, most cooperative duckies...
big_smile.png

http://www.cornerstonefarm.net/wingdemo.html

Thanks! I'm sure that will be helpful to many people, and maybe even to me if I find that I can't keep up with my new ones unless I clip them. (Crossing my fingers that won't be the case.)

I leave the first flight feather in clipped on both wings ( also another form of the beauty look ) but I cut both wings , that way if they get up on a high place they can fly down but can't get any lift.

I haven't really payed attention to how long. If I can see ones wings growing back out I'll just put then in the coop and clip them again .
Thank you, too! I'm trying to look at every possible option so I'm not stuck and desperate at the last minute. The last thing I want to do is butcher their wings out of fear they'll fly away. I hate those full clip methods I've seen on the Internet. I think it makes them look funny. I want to have a definite plan in mind that removes as few feathers as possible, but of course it also has to be a method I can be sure will be effective. I really prefer a clip of both wings since I'm one of those people who has a weird thing about symmetry.
hmm.png

Still puzzling over what I'm going to do about the show birds if it's an issue with them.

I don't know for sure but I'd assume that clipping their wings would ding you at a duck show. As for aesthetics, I kind of like Irwinke's method, since she sort of shapes it to look pretty,

0.jpg

On a sidenote, I'd kill to have Wobbles be that calm when I hold her like that!

I don't know for sure but I'd assume that clipping their wings would ding you at a duck show. As for aesthetics, I kind of like Irwinke's method, since she sort of shapes it to look pretty,

0.jpg

On a sidenote, I'd kill to have Wobbles be that calm when I hold her like that!

Yep, clipped wings are a disqualification. That's why I'm not sure what I'm going to do if those ducks flying becomes a problem since I hate the idea of keeping ducks penned all the time. I'm really hoping I'll be one of those lucky people I keep reading about whose Calls don't fly off their property even though they could if they wanted to.

None of my birds' wings are clipped & my fences are only 4 ft high. Almost every bird I have could easily hop my fences but rarely do. I have chickens, turkeys, calls, anconas & pilgrim geese. Rarely a fence jumper.

Back
Top Bottom