Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Ok, I am starting to get worried. My ducks just aren't laying eggs. They are on layer feed, and have oyster shell but no eggs, And they should be popping them out like no bodies business! Any idea what I am doing wrong? I got a soft shelled egg about 1 month ago but that was it?

Ok, I am starting to get worried. My ducks just aren't laying eggs. They are on layer feed, and have oyster shell but no eggs, And they should be popping them out like no bodies business! Any idea what I am doing wrong? I got a soft shelled egg about 1 month ago but that was it?

Need more info on your setup. Do they free range? Are they in a small pen? How much light do they get? Protein content of feed? Age of birds?

Quote:
They do not free range. They only get the amount of light that is natural. The same amount as you most likely. I don't know protein percent for sure but it is dumor layer crumble. They youngest pair is 2 years old and oldest is 4 years old. The pen is really big for them. About 900 square feet. With bushes and ornamental grasses in the pen for them to lay under. I have checked and there are no eggs hiding. Unless they lay them in the pond..... I just don't know what is wrong....

Last edited:
Quote:
They do not free range. They only get the amount of light that is natural. The same amount as you most likely. I don't know protein percent for sure but it is dumor layer crumble. They youngest pair is 2 years old and oldest is 4 years old. The pen is really big for them. About 900 square feet. With bushes and ornamental grasses in the pen for them to lay under. I have checked and there are no eggs hiding. Unless they lay them in the pond..... I just don't know what is wrong....
First, check the pond. Second, do they get locked up at night? If so, what time do they go in & when do you let them back out? Does the night box have windows?

Quote:
Ok, I will check the pond tonight. The ducks normally go in at night around 7:30. I lock them in. I let them out around 7:30 again in the morning. The night area has large windows on all walls and the roof is made out of that greenhouse stuff that lets a lot of light through. Not the wrapping stuff but the hard greenish plastic stuff.

Quote:
Ok, I will check the pond tonight. The ducks normally go in at night around 7:30. I lock them in. I let them out around 7:30 again in the morning. The night area has large windows on all walls and the roof is made out of that greenhouse stuff that lets a lot of light through. Not the wrapping stuff but the hard greenish plastic stuff.
Check your feed for protien. Thinking Dumore is only about 16%. You can try switching to Flock Raiser at 18% or a gamebird feed with higher protein. I go for 18-20% for all of my layers, even chickens. If you are doing oyster shell on the side, you don't have to use a layer feed. Just go for protein & give oyster shell. Last resort: dump some cayanne pepper in the feed. It heats their little bodies up to get them in gear. If temps have been colder than normal like they have here then they may just be using too much energy staying warm to lay. Shouldn't have to give it more than a week max & definitely not once temps are staying above 60F.

Back
Top Bottom