Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

I also have 3 call ducklings and 2 mallard x call ducklings and I was wondering if you could tell their quality from these pictures. They are 2 weeks old today.

My blue fawn

My black bibbed

My chocolate magpie

So what do you think?
I think I am hideously in love with these ducklings. Y r they so cute?

Yes they are a perfect delight everyday. and she is so cute i wish i could get pictures of her but she has alittle baby mandarin buddy who, if over stressed, could die quite easily so no pictures until they are out in the aviary. Hmm my call ducks are certainly loud but it seems more like a sharp sound than the deep loud sound of a larger female mallard derived breed so im gonna say probably about as loud but a different tone.
Oh, I do not want anything to happen to the sweet little mandarin buddy. Your explanation of the call duck sound vs the big duck sound makes perfect sense and is a perfect explanation. It is funny to hear that they are loud given their tiny size.

She can run circles around him if she has to, but she's also kind of a dum-dum so she tends to get herself cornered a lot. :p As for Wobs, I think it's a mix of jealousy, hormones and territorial behavior. He had total run of the house for nearly two years before lil' Bean came along, it'll just take time and patience, is all. The occasional butt nip is leaps ahead of where they were a month ago when he'd viciously grab onto her!
I thought she could. And I am happy to see the bad attacks have graduated into nips now. His behavior as you explain it makes total sense. It is a combination of many factors that contribute to his actions. In spite of all that he is still an innocent and precious little bitty duck. And he is funny, too. It seems the females, unless they are broody, don't get all amped up sexually like the boys. Is that true? Miss Lydia posted an interesting tidbit on The Duck Thread that the non broody birds do not like the behavior of the broody ducks.

full molts take 6 to 8 weeks. I start watching mine around week 3 and see if the flight feather s fell out yet. One they fall put I check the new blood feathers every couple days to see if they're long enough to fly yet.

Oh ok, as soon as they fly do they immediately fly? Sorry for all the questions but I don't want then flying off!

I think I am hideously in love with these ducklings.  Y r they so cute?

It in their nature! I just wish I knew if they were going to be good quality, they are sooo much cuter when they are! Even though all ducks are incredibly cute

Last edited:
Oh ok, as soon as they fly do they immediately fly? Sorry for all the questions but I don't want then flying off!
it all depends on the duck of course. Honestly I haven't clipped mine since last year. The fly around the house but don't take off. They enjoy running to the top of this hill by the house and then flying to the bottom and crash landing into a pile of other ducks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom