Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Quick update - Jabba is doing really well! He's been out for a few hours each day while I watch. The ducks, goose, and one chicken now seem to have no problem with him, and the one chicken is being mean still. I'll definitely be keeping a very close eye on him for at least another week and not leaving him unsupervised with them. Hopefully the chicken warms up to him. I know that they can do a lot of damage.

I feel like he needs at least one other call... he stands at a distance and just watches the other ducks, then chases them when they walk away. But he never gets close to them. He also tends to just go off by himself. I'm afraid that he won't assimilate into the flock. I feel like, if he had one or two female calls, he would just make his own little separate flock.

He's way too small to get in the pool on his own, so I've left a glass baking dish (about 3 inches deep) filled with water for him to splash in. I imagine that the future ladies would also not be able to get in the pool. Or maybe they'll be like Jabba, and just want to roll around in the mud and avoid the water altogether :)
Weeeeeee, rolls around in the mud. Sweet little fluff muffin. I hope be can assimilate too. Great update!!!

Does anybody have an idea of what colour these call ducks are? What colour offspring will they produce? The male is the spotted chocolates bibbed duck! He is on the left!

Thanks!
They're cute. But I do not know.

Quick update - Jabba is doing really well! He's been out for a few hours each day while I watch. The ducks, goose, and one chicken now seem to have no problem with him, and the one chicken is being mean still. I'll definitely be keeping a very close eye on him for at least another week and not leaving him unsupervised with them. Hopefully the chicken warms up to him. I know that they can do a lot of damage.

I feel like he needs at least one other call... he stands at a distance and just watches the other ducks, then chases them when they walk away. But he never gets close to them. He also tends to just go off by himself. I'm afraid that he won't assimilate into the flock. I feel like, if he had one or two female calls, he would just make his own little separate flock.

He's way too small to get in the pool on his own, so I've left a glass baking dish (about 3 inches deep) filled with water for him to splash in. I imagine that the future ladies would also not be able to get in the pool. Or maybe they'll be like Jabba, and just want to roll around in the mud and avoid the water altogether
smile.png
Can you make him a ramp into the pool? Our ducks fly or hop into theirs. They rarely use their ramp.

Can you make him a ramp into the pool? Our ducks fly or hop into theirs. They rarely use their ramp. 

Should I? The edge of the pool is a couple inches taller than he is. I made a stairway out of bricks inside of the pool in case he gets in there. I'm just a little afraid that the other ducks might drown him or future female calls?

Should I? The edge of the pool is a couple inches taller than he is. I made a stairway out of bricks inside of the pool in case he gets in there. I'm just a little afraid that the other ducks might drown him or future female calls?

I'd definitely keep an eye on him while he's in to see how they're treating him. I can't remember ever hearing of a duck drowning another grown duck, but I guess it's possible.

Here is a nest full of awww for your attention hatched during the day these 7 cuties count their life in hours at the moment.

Oh, yes, a huge awww moment, Fizzgig. They are so unbelievably cute and teensy. I wish I could hold them and kiss their little heads. Have you held any yet? It's sweet to see the top view of their little heads and eyes.

Oh, yes, a huge awww moment, Fizzgig. They are so unbelievably cute and teensy. I wish I could hold them and kiss their little heads. Have you held any yet? It's sweet to see the top view of their little heads and eyes.
Yes Fawn had set her nest somewhere it wasn't safe for the babies to be, normally I just drop a chicken tractor over them when that's the case but it wasn't practical so we had to move her once she started hatching. We popped her babies and remaining eggs in the box and carried her and the box to a safe place early this morning, With babies calling she was back on the nest quickly.

Upside of the move I got to hold the babies for a little minute, downside of the move I had to leave her alone to settle the rest of the day. More pictures tomorrow when I can get my hands on the fluffy butts again.

Yes Fawn had set her nest somewhere it wasn't safe for the babies to be, normally I just drop a chicken tractor over them when that's the case but it wasn't practical so we had to move her once she started hatching. We popped her babies and remaining eggs in the box and carried her and the box to a safe place early this morning, With babies calling she was back on the nest quickly.

Upside of the move I got to hold the babies for a little minute, downside of the move I had to leave her alone to settle the rest of the day. More pictures tomorrow when I can get my hands on the fluffy butts again.
Oh, eeeeeeee, your avatar.

Looking forward to pics tomorrow for sure.

Fawn is a great name for your new mom bird. I once had a zebra finch that was fawn colored and I called her Fawn. I loved her a lot.

How cute that you carried her and the babies in a box all together. I am so glad you found them a safer place. Precious things need safety. Yay. As she is settling alone,(Fawn), will she exhibit odd behavior because her babies aren't with her?

Back
Top Bottom