Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

BABY BEANBLES ARE IN THE BATOR, I REPEAT OPERATION BEANBLES IS A GO!

Of the three I set, looks like one is a dud (the oldest, I figured), one is growing and one is either/or. I'm nervous, and am looking to you guys for advice. If it turns out only one is viable, I'm considering pulling the plug. I can't in good faith hand off one lone little duckling to be raised by itself in the dead of winter. And if there's just two, the odds of them both hatching aren't in my favor. What do you think I should do?

Of the three I set, looks like one is a dud (the oldest, I figured), one is growing and one is either/or. I'm nervous, and am looking to you guys for advice. If it turns out only one is viable, I'm considering pulling the plug. I can't in good faith hand off one lone little duckling to be raised by itself in the dead of winter. And if there's just two, the odds of them both hatching aren't in my favor. What do you think I should do?

Beanables!!!!! :celebrate

Are you hand turning them? Or on their sides?

Hi I have a pair of calls

How long do the lay eggs for my girl is 3 she layed a few eggs this spring but that was it these are my first ducks so wasn't sure if they lay like chickens or if they are different

Beanables!!!!!
celebrate.gif

Are you hand turning them? Or on their sides?

Hand-turning. My automatic turner's busted. :/
Hi I have a pair of calls .

How long do the lay eggs for my girl is 3 she layed a few eggs this spring but that was it these are my first ducks so wasn't sure if they lay like chickens or if they are different

Unfortunately, calls are lousy layers!

Hand-turning. My automatic turner's busted. :/

Unfortunately, calls are lousy layers!

I'm fine with that but was just curious if she was to old to lay anymore, I got them more as pets than anything else

Last edited:
I'm fine with that but was just curious if she was to old to lay anymore, I got them more as pets than anything else

No she shouldn't be to old I have some older then 3. She may not lay for a while if it's a new place though. It takes time for them to adjust but once they do omg. They will surprise you at the time they do lay. Lol

I would say all depends on how bad you want a baby. Winter time isnt the best time to raise them. But if you have been trying to get that ONE baby. Well then why not. It's more special if it's your first baby from momma.

Now for me anytime is a good time, if theres 12 foot of snow I will hatch them lol although right now no one wants to work with me because everyone in my flock have taken a break except my chickens lol. Yep getting a lot of cold chicken eggs so far. Lol

ok so im looking for a turner for my brinsea incubator and it tells me that the turner can fit to the size of a pheasant egg are they bigger or smaller than a call duck and should i use my regular duck turner or get this smaller one.

ok so im looking for a turner for my brinsea incubator and it tells me that the turner can fit to the size of a pheasant egg are they bigger or smaller than a call duck and should i use my regular duck turner or get this smaller one. 

Calls fit in the regular chicken one... but I don't recommend a turner for Calls... my hatch rate increased dramatically hand turning them... jmo...

Hello everyone! I haven't been on for awhile and thought I would stop in and say hi. :)
It's been quite a winter here in Minnesota. It went from being in the 60's in December and everyone still swimming in their pools to negative Temps. It's finally bearable again now. Gidget started laying about 3 weeks ago! She's a laying machine. I thought it was early but with them being indoor calls maybe not... Gadget has been showing interest too! So I suppose we will see what happens. She doesn't really like me near her eggs when I go to mark them but isn't sitting regularly on them either. I took the oldest ones out and left her with a few.
@Amykins I'm happy to hear Bean is laying and Wobs is figuring things out! Lol. I hope all goes well with hatching! I'm so excited for you!

Back
Top Bottom