Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Pics
Why not a drake? They are SO much quieter...
tongue.png
Ha, good point. Bunny can be very loud when she wants to be. But, I just don't want to deal with mating issues. I've seen some photos on here of ducks getting beat up pretty badly by, shall we say, overly excitable drakes!

He looks to be blue dusky and he is either pied or magpie. Hard to say for sure which one until you see what he produces. Magpies can produce a wide variety of markings and many can appear as though they are pied.

hey all,

i've got a question about settling shipped eggs and turning....:

how many days do you let your eggs settles (shipped in the mail) before you start turning them? i read 1-2 days and some have even suggested 7.....

any thoughts? or tips? i have 35 call duck eggs that i've just put in the bator and i do so want to hatch them.....

don

He looks to be blue dusky and he is either pied or magpie. Hard to say for sure which one until you see what he produces. Magpies can produce a wide variety of markings and many can appear as though they are pied.
Thank you JulieNKC and Jen C. Any recommendations for links on Call colors & patterns? I linked to callducks.org and looked over their "posters" showing the different color/patterns.....
idunno.gif

.... I came away still confused. There seems to be quite a variation in the "real look" of these colors when you see pic's of actual ducks vs what the posters show. Tks!

hey all,

i've got a question about settling shipped eggs and turning....:

how many days do you let your eggs settles (shipped in the mail) before you start turning them? i read 1-2 days and some have even suggested 7.....

any thoughts? or tips? i have 35 call duck eggs that i've just put in the bator and i do so want to hatch them.....

don

Everything I have read has always said to let the eggs rest 24 hrs. That has always worked for me. If you were collecting the eggs every day yourself from your own flock, then 7 days really isn't that big of a deal but when you consider the handling time for shipped eggs it's an eternity. Let's say it took 3 days for a seller to collect all your eggs and get them shipped, plus 4 days transit time during shipping, you are looking at week old eggs when they arrive. Then you give another day for them to settle and your shipped eggs are 8 days old when you finally get them in the incubator. And since hatchability can decrease dramatically after an egg is a week to 10 days old (depending on the egg)... Well, you get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom