Dad had a heart attack ADVICE WELCOME

Cackling Hen

Just Scratching Around
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
Port Angeles Wa
Hi my dad is60 .Thursday night he had a heart attack we live in a small town so he got flown over to Seattle. They found out he had 2 clogged artires that need shunts. I just wanted to know if anyone had any good advice on changing his eating habits any good reciepts??? What will his quality of life be like now??? That was the most scariest thing I have ever seen watching him have the heart attack...
sad.png
STUBBORN MAN would not let us call 911... I made him get in van and take him to hospital 10 more min they said and he would not be with us

Very scary for you .. and him.

I work in a Cardiac Cath Lab. He should receive meds from his cardiologist .. it's extremely important that he take his meds like he's supposed to.

Even after they stent a blocked vessel, it can close right back up again if meds aren't taken properly.

Hopefully he will get some counseling on diet and exercise etc before he leaves the hospital.

Go online and research Heart Healthy diets .. there are TONS of books and resources out there..

{{{hugs}}}

Keep us informed!

On something this important, I'd be talking to the medical professionals who deal with this every day. At the hospital, you should have access to some great handouts.

My dad had a triple bypass at age 62. He had a good quality of life until his early 80's, the same age his father's quality of life went south. A heart attack does not have to make you an invalid. It certainly did not do that to my dad.

For your mental well-being, you have to remember it is your father's decision on how his life changes. You and others can and should influence it, but it is his ultimate decision on whether he takes his medications, changes his diet, gets his exercise, whatever. Offer healthy food, try to involve him in outings and activities that involve physical exertion, especially with grandchildren, but accept that it is his ultimate decision as to what aspects of his quality of life are worth changing.

It is a scary time, but a good life for him and you can go on.

Thank u we did get handouts and today he is going in for this rehab I sure hope he changes his habits................ Thank you texasgal It can close again huh uggh. I will surley make sure and see what meds he is suppose to be taking... Again Thank you both

Back
Top Bottom