Dad insists button quail to roam around in the living room, advice?

vatsan324

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2018
He was previously taken care of by my brother, he passed on the care to my mother in her house as he had to temporarily move at that time. Although when the quail passed on to her care, some string caught on the feet of the quail and I had to end up taking the quail to the vet and they told me the string had cut the blood flow off to some parts of both legs and they had to amputate parts off, which I expected would happen when I visited my mom and saw the state of him. This happened because my mother had not made a proper environment for the quail to live in and the quail could walk out and roam around her living room. I now take care of the quail but I live with my dad, and now my dad feels that the quail should roam around, I sometimes let the quail roam around in a part of my room, but he has told me that this is not enough and that the quail should be able to roam around in the living room. I told him I feel there is more potential harm than good to the quail and I don't believe it is a good idea, if we take into account what has happened previously to the quail and exposing the quail to a similar environment didn't seem like a good idea. My dad seems to think I don't believe the quail should be able to roam around in a broader space, although I told him I believe this is naive and that if an incident has happened prior already to the quail he should understand that the same mistake shouldn't be repeated. I've contacted the same vet I visited about this a week ago but they haven't gotten back to me so I had to ask here for your thoughts on this. I've read that button quails shouldn't be kept in environments that are more than 14 inches so I'm not sure if I'm the crazy one.

Buttons can't have too much space. A 14" space would be rather cruel to keep a bird in. That does not, however, mean that the bird should be roaming around your living room.

Is your button quail alone? They are social birds and it should have a companion. For two button quail something around 4-6 square feet should be fine. Make sure they have hiding places and a sand bath, and they will be happy in there.

Buttons can't have too much space. A 14" space would be rather cruel to keep a bird in. That does not, however, mean that the bird should be roaming around your living room.

Is your button quail alone? They are social birds and it should have a companion. For two button quail something around 4-6 square feet should be fine. Make sure they have hiding places and a sand bath, and they will be happy in there.
Hi thank you for your response so I've read this space guideline and I don't follow this, because you are right that is actually way too small the quail is in a pretty good sized box I understand why some specified height restriction is in place from what I read I guess they put that so people dont leave their birds with a ceiling that is too high. for companion I have been told some times that the button quail are shy and should live with another companion, my brother got him along with a companion some years back, she passed away and he has lived on his own. I have took responsibility of him some weeks ago so I am still unsure on the course of action in getting a companion for him at this point. thank you for your advice I will look into these

I've seen button quail kept in guinea pig cages which I think could work quite nicely for an indoor quail - either a large guinea pig cage or one of those C&C cages.
Others on here have told me that for the height, like 1 foot high is ok because they can't build up too much momentum in their upward travel. Its more the medium-height type cages that can cause injuries.
Roaming free in the living room would seem to me to be very unsuitable because of safety issues for the quail (not least being stepped on!), they can't do their natural behaviour of foraging around for seeds etc and they also poo a lot! A good sized cage with suitable substrate would be much kinder and more suitable for the quail.

Back
Top Bottom