Dad wants our button quail to roam around in the living room, he insists it is ethical, advice?

vatsan324

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2018
He was previously taken care of by my brother, he passed on the care to my mother in her house as he had to temporarily move at that time. Although when the quail passed on to her care, some string caught on the feet of the quail and I had to end up taking the quail to the vet and they told me the string had cut the blood flow off to some parts of both legs and they had to amputate parts off, which I expected would happen when I visited my mom and saw the state of him. This happened because my mother had not made a proper environment for the quail to live in and the quail could walk out and roam around her living room. I now take care of the quail but I live with my dad, and now my dad feels that the quail should roam around, I sometimes let the quail roam around in a part of my room, but he has told me that this is not enough and that the quail should be able to roam around in the living room. I told him I feel there is more potential harm than good to the quail and I don't believe it is a good idea, if we take into account what has happened previously to the quail and exposing the quail to a similar environment didn't seem like a good idea. My dad seems to think I don't believe the quail should be able to roam around in a broader space, although I told him I believe this is naive and that if an incident has happened prior already to the quail he should understand that the same mistake shouldn't be repeated. I've contacted the same vet I visited about this a week ago but they haven't gotten back to me so I had to ask here for your thoughts on this. I've read that button quails shouldn't be kept in environments that are more than 14 inches so I'm not sure if I'm the crazy one.

All I read was ur dad demands the buttons roams the living room, I 1000000% agree, I let our coturnix roam the living room and when I out him up I let my buttons roam some times ( Anubis the coturnix quail gets to roam almost 100% of the time) but before home I had a single button who I let roam, idk my 2 cents are yes,(watch out for other animals and always always walk like something is under ur foot before u out ur foot down it's natural for them to go under ur feet like a chick chasing a momma

All I read was ur dad demands the buttons roams the living room, I 1000000% agree, I let our coturnix roam the living room and when I out him up I let my buttons roam some times ( Anubis the coturnix quail gets to roam almost 100% of the time) but before home I had a single button who I let roam, idk my 2 cents are yes,(watch out for other animals and always always walk like something is under ur foot before u out ur foot down it's natural for them to go under ur feet like a chick chasing a momma
i apologize i am posting thie comment again i accidently replied to my own thread thank you for your response I apologize if I didn't clarify but my post was concerning button quail, I did have courtnix quail which has roamed around in the living room and they encountered no problem, but I feel it is a different story for this button quail. the button quail will sometimes fly up and I don't want the button quail to die from hitting the ceiling either so I have some anxiety even letting the button quail roam around in my room, do you feel this is an ok compromise rather than letting him go free in the living room? just asking this for your second thoughts.

i apologize i am posting thie comment again i accidently replied to my own thread thank you for your response I apologize if I didn't clarify but my post was concerning button quail, I did have courtnix quail which has roamed around in the living room and they encountered no problem, but I feel it is a different story for this button quail. the button quail will sometimes fly up and I don't want the button quail to die from hitting the ceiling either so I have some anxiety even letting the button quail roam around in my room, do you feel this is an ok compromise rather than letting him go free in the living room? just asking this for your second thoughts.
Well when I had a single button snow who was one legged(accident in bad incubator then vets help) she was super attached to me but would still at times leave my stide to go to another room like the kitchen but if I called she came back to the living room and even then in there she rarely wanted to leave my side for long periods and u mentioned he didn't hand raise it so long as u quail proof and keep a eye and no other pets and ppl watch were they walk then still yes

He was previously taken care of by my brother, he passed on the care to my mother in her house as he had to temporarily move at that time. Although when the quail passed on to her care, some string caught on the feet of the quail and I had to end up taking the quail to the vet and they told me the string had cut the blood flow off to some parts of both legs and they had to amputate parts off, which I expected would happen when I visited my mom and saw the state of him. This happened because my mother had not made a proper environment for the quail to live in and the quail could walk out and roam around her living room. I now take care of the quail but I live with my dad, and now my dad feels that the quail should roam around, I sometimes let the quail roam around in a part of my room, but he has told me that this is not enough and that the quail should be able to roam around in the living room. I told him I feel there is more potential harm than good to the quail and I don't believe it is a good idea, if we take into account what has happened previously to the quail and exposing the quail to a similar environment didn't seem like a good idea. My dad seems to think I don't believe the quail should be able to roam around in a broader space, although I told him I believe this is naive and that if an incident has happened prior already to the quail he should understand that the same mistake shouldn't be repeated. I've contacted the same vet I visited about this a week ago but they haven't gotten back to me so I had to ask here for your thoughts on this. I've read that button quails shouldn't be kept in environments that are more than 14 inches so I'm not sure if I'm the crazy one.
As he disappears under a sea of poo, he will soon realise that this is the problem!

The 14-inch rule for quail housing is really for those kept in cages, and means no more than fourteen inches in height. This is because they launch straight up like harriers when alarmed, and can easily break their necks and kill themselves on hitting something hard. Even in a cage no more than fourteen inches high, something soft like bird netting should be at the top of the cage, to cushion them if they do hit themselves. But quail are often put in aviaries, and these are tall. So I don't see why you shouldn't have uncaged birds in a small room or aviary just so long as that soft ceiling is in place.

Back
Top Bottom