DAG! I lost another one!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Dec 31, 2009.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    [​IMG] We had had a good run of luck for a while there. The whole summer had been good. But, winter arrived and so did the hawks. And a week or so ago we lost two in one day as they were free ranging. I was around so I thought I would hear something but I didn't. [​IMG] I feel really bad.

But, I had another hen that we called Henny Houdini. She got out of the run every day! I know she was flying out, even though her wing was clipped. She was hopping out a small opening and then hanging around the run peering inside acting like she couldn't understand why she couldn't get back in or they wouldn't come out!

We all knew it would happen, but she didn't come home last night. [​IMG] I need more than fishing line and old CDs over my run.......

2. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Sorry to hear. I do not know what else to tell you. We have Eagles and hawks and my runs are covered with netting. I have to make sure Everyone is covered at ALL times. Hang in there.

3. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    [​IMG]

Too late now, but the bird netting at some of the home improvement stores is really cheap. It is likely to have to be replaced regularly tho. It would keep the chooks in and hawks out tho. I saw some that was 15 x 45, about the consistency of a hair net. Probably meant for strawberries and fruit trees, but would work since hawks have keen eyesight and would assume it to be a barrier to flight. Chooks see well too and would see it as an impediment to escape.

Flock losses are an inevitable part of free-ranging and escapees. They are the price of participation or omission. [​IMG]

4. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

We use deer netting over the top...very visible to hawks and they wont swoop down.

At least not yet and its been almost 5 years.....

5. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    We have hawks around too. It is one of my biggest fears about letting them free-range. But so far so good. I am sorry for the loss of your girls!!!

6. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Most likely its the same bird of prey coming back I'd sit out there and watch them to find out who the culprit is

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by