Dagnabbit!!!! education before birds is a must

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I would never judge any posters that come here looking for information, either before or after chicks might arrive...it says a lot that they are online looking for information on the best way to care for their birds.

Andy

What happened to positive threads? Is this productive, or just a non-productive statement that does not help the uneducated/newcomers, or help keep the positive tone set by the moderators and members? It appears as if the stated original message would be in defense of a perfect situation in a perfect world. I think most everyone here can admit to "jumping" before the "thinking" at sometime in their lives and have come out the better for it (having learned). But, it appears that the newcomers/uneducated are here seeking to take care of what they have now "jumped" into, which therefore shows a dilligence, and concern for the wellbeing of the animal, and a desire to be educated.

Being harsh to newcomers here can have negative results-with the newcomer being scared away (or newcomers being afraid to ask for help after reading harsh messages). And then where will the little chickens be? So this thread is to accomplish...?

IMHO I think unconstructive threads are very unhelpful, and undermine the attitude of most everyone here that wants this to be a pleasant place to be-most especially my family. That is my response, and honest opinion of the subject matter presented, and I will not apologize or try and sugar coat the matter.

Can this little online "chicken haven" remain a positive place to visit?

(And as for keeping it on a positive note
big_smile.png
, I am positive that I love positive, uplifting, positive, helpful, positive, encouraging, positive, subject matter
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I mean who of us would bring home an iguana or a ball python without realizing how large they get or what they eat or how warm they need to be...

Spotted, my point exactly. And I'm sure you could regale us with some really interesting stories.

I've read about too many birds suffering since the first of the year because too many have not done what you all are doing now, investigating what it takes to have them in your lives. I want this post to have an impact, I want it to open eyes and minds and realize that having these birds in our lives is a responsibility and that if we are not ready its the birds who suffer. And it's driving me crazy and it hurts to realize those poor birds are being kept in substandard conditions.

I have actually denied a sale to someone because they did not have proper housing for some of my birds they wanted to buy. I did not raise these birds to go to someone who is not prepared to be a bird owner. And guess what? That person is now ready and coming back for the birds this week. I told her they would be here when she had a proper coop for them, its been three months but she notified me she'd like to come this week.

Last edited:
I too have to agree, educate before taking on the raising of ANY animal....
I have too many rescues at my place, and it upsets me when people just let their animals run wild(dogs especially) because "they need to be free" what BS! Or they don't neuter/spay their animals due to $ or "beliefs"

Please don't come down hard on Robin, folks! She and I have spoken at length about this subject and she says this with nothing but concern for the animals whose lives are in the hands of people who didn't rescue them, but have made an impulse buy and are now possibly making the animal suffer because the research was not done beforehand. It is to their credit if they come asking for help rather than just muddling along without a clue, but I do agree that an impulse buy of an animal is not the same as an impulse buy of electronic equipment you dont know how to use. These are living creatures and deserve the proper care. I try to temper my words with kindness, but I admit, it does bother me when people buy a chick because it's cute and dyed orange (which I actually think is hideous), but think they'll keep it in a shoebox and feed it corn and birdseed. That one made me shudder. And believe me, I know how hard it is to resist those adorable little fuzzballs! All these posts that got under Robin's skin were the same types that made me write the paragraphs for the newbies getting chicks awhile back in this post:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2468
So, please research, read books and online sources and ask questions before you get chickens/chicks. It sure will help you all along your journey as a poultry owner. It is so disheartening if the animal doesn't do well, when all it really takes is some quick reading. Your experience will be so much richer and more positive with your chickens. And please don't shoot me for interjecting here! We all share the same love for chickens.

fowl very well said like i said earlier at least they are trying to learn. if they didnt care they wouldnt be on line trying to learn

...I want this post to have an impact...

It does, but your post has a more negative impact than positive.
It implies that if you haven't done your research and prepared *before* you get chicks, don't bother me with your problems.

A more appropriate topic would be
The things chicks need:

Is there a FAQ somewhere here where those basic needs are addressed?

Lisa​

I agree Dipsy
It does, but your post has a more negative impact than positive.
It implies that if you haven't done your research and prepared *before* you get chicks, don't bother me with your problems.

, and I agree to an extent speckled.

Please don't come down hard on Robin, folks! She and I have spoken at length about this subject and she says this with nothing but concern for the animals

The point most are making is that the ends does not justify the means. I am not intentionally "coming down" on anyone-just stating my opinion as others are freely stating theirs. Yes, I love animals/chickens, helpless babies and children, widows, widowers, the seeing impaired, the physically challenged, the autistic, the poor, lepers, the downtrodden as well as anyone else here...
Hurtful comments which "come down hard" to newbies and making negative posts addressed to nobody in particular are damaging to the overall mood of this site and seem to "come down hard" on those trying to make a difference in a positive way.​

Last edited:
Hello all:

I'm new to the site, doing a lot of research before getting chickens next spring (have been dealing with a serious illness and getting my strength back so I can have enough energy for chickies!). I've got a thought regarding this topic, for what it's worth. (This is my first post so be gentle with me!)

Nothing is worse than hearing of chickies or any other pet being brought home without adequate prep having been done beforehand to ensure their proper care. As someone else just mentioned, would it be helpful to have a "Before You Bring Chicks Home" starter checklist or some such thing that lists the care basics/requirements that folks need to have in place BEFORE bringing babies home? I agree that research needs to be done prior to acquiring chicks, but a quick, bullet-type list that is easy to read and understand might be helpful. That way the critical info is all in one place for starters, and people can ask questions on this site and do further research as issues come up, but at least the basics would be covered.

I agree with everyone who has said that if you want a pet, you are responsible for it, but the purpose of this great site is to provide information in a friendly, easy-to-follow format.

Thanks for listening, and let's keep up the wonderful atmosphere that makes this my all-time favorite site!

BTW, 80 degrees here in Southern VT (it snowed a week ago!)

Mary Pat

As a newbie who did some research but did not build my coop before getting chicks I both agree and disagree with robin416. I figured the 6 weeks in the brooder would give me plenty of time to build the coop, and it has. I think people should be prepared before getting a pet, but with chickens in particular there seems to be a lot of diagreement on care, coop size, perferred type of bird, roosters, organic, eggs only or meat, vets/no vets, medicated/not medicated...I'm also a person who has had 9 cats and a dog over the years, only two of which were planned animals. While there don't seem to be alot of stray chickens around most of my 9 cats (several rehomed) and my dog just came to me. No one can be fully informed, and a positive attitude to questions is why I joined this site. I lurked for awhile and gained alot of knowledge. Thanks for all the coop designs, by the way. The only thing I should have paid more attention to is size for an expanding flock...guess its a good thing I built in limits.

I'm sorry you get frustrated with the newbies and hearing the same questions over and over, but I'm sure someone answered your questions with a smile at some point.

BTW, my feedstore does do a chicken care list (VERY basic) with every purchase, even those poor Easter chicks

Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom