Daily shedding of bloody intestinal lining for weeks…what’s wrong???

This morning….droppings so far. The overnight are on paper towel in the middle and am on tissue along the side. Not as bad but there’s still weird blood colored jelly blobs in the cecal. I put a camera in but they sleep in a puppy pile so I can’t be positive whose it was.

Still no crowing from little Constantin. Still doing that open mouth thing a little bit when he lays down after eating.

As an aside, I removed the pop up brooder they had been in and all the soft small pet bedding. Replaced with a kennel crate and large pine flakes. They’ve been eating the smaller specs which is why I presume the poops are a bit firmer/dryer than usual.

Attachments

• IMG_8255.jpeg
    IMG_8255.jpeg
    496.3 KB · Views: 8
Here’s the kicker. All this of course happened over holidays, the breeder after 10 days got back to me. First she said they were raised on wet mash and not dry food so after traveling and gorging it’s possible that was a factor. she also thought the pics looked like cocci and told me to do a milk flush with whole milk I’m place of their water. I wish I could post a video. Four hours later the name was laying in his side opening his mouth and stretching out. He hadn’t crowed since. I don’t have a camera so unsure who did it but a cecal dropping I wiped up the next day smelled awful-a sweet rancid smell. And I’m concerned the milk fed or created an infection. That’s nice that farms are organic and everything but that old remedy is not safe if there aren’t parasites to flush!

The pics are the day after the milk. Breeders response was …oh that’s crazy you should purchase a consult with our farm vet and talk to him. I’m taking the pair into an emergency vet this morning for exam and tests.
Birds lack an enzyme to digest dairy products in general, as a result they get extreme digestive problems from consuming it.
I’ve heard of using milk to flush their system when they’ve ingested something toxic, and using kefir which doesn’t have much lactase and won’t upset the gut is a decent probiotic booster. I don’t know if milk would get rid of worms but it could certainly be a stressor that can predispose a bird to illness.

I’m so sorry your roo is feeling worse. Does it sound like his gut is popping and grinding? That can indicate a lot of gas in the intestine. If he has an inflamed intestine from parasites or an infection he could also have a partial blockage.
Warm honey mixed with ginger and cinnamon can help get things moving and and reduce gas, it is by no means a cure but it can help soothe symptoms.

First she said they were raised on wet mash and not dry food so after traveling and gorging it’s possible that was a factor. she also thought the pics looked like cocci and told me to do a milk flush with whole milk I’m place of their water. I wish I could post a video. Four hours later the name was laying in his side opening his mouth and stretching out. He hadn’t crowed since
How did the vet visit go?

For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

The poop from this morning does look better.

Not sure what steps you have taken, but I would omit the oregano and just give plain fresh water for a few days.
If you gave them Corid and it was the correct dose and you didn't mix anything else with the Corid water, nor did you give them extra vitamins containing B1 during the 5-7 days of treatment and you still see the bloody poop, then I'd use Toltrazuril.

Milk flush probably didn't hurt anything unless he aspirated the liquid, did you have them drink it on their own or tube it?

Feed analysis looks pretty good, it is a loose type feed, so it's important to make sure they are eating all of it or you can soak the feed to help incorporate the ingredients a little better. Does it smell fresh?
If you question the feed, then I'd consider getting a bag of commercial chick starter like you find at TSC or local feed store (Nutrena, Purina, etc.), look at the mill date on the bag to make sure it's fresh, don't buy feed that is more than a month after mill date. I'm not sure what you'll find commercially made that is organic, perhaps in Nutrena or look for an All Flock crumble.

Well the vet visit seemed ok-all the exotics were still on holiday leave. They ran fecals on both-fresh samples. They came back negative. They were both running a bit of a temp. Female 106 male 107 so they were sent home with meloxicam and enrofloxacin.

The next morning make started to crow a bit a first since the milk. (Someone had asked and no it wasn’t administered but their water bowl filled with it so no aspiration there). I only saw a few stool with some orange stringy lining. A number were loose and a bit watery but I attributed that to the meds.

Today. Hmmm. Make crowed proudly at 440 and again an hour later. They have both been rubbing about exploring more. BUT, many more loose droppings than day before and more lining. Of concern are the dropping in the picture. Both around lunchtime and confirmed the female did one. Did not see the other. I sifted thru it and that’s a piece of pine flakes on the edge not a worm. I took away all the bedding last night.

Are the meds wrong? Did the fecal miss a parasite???

Attachments

• IMG_8260.jpeg
    IMG_8260.jpeg
    472 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8262.jpeg
    IMG_8262.jpeg
    587.3 KB · Views: 6
Well the vet visit seemed ok-all the exotics were still on holiday leave. They ran fecals on both-fresh samples. They came back negative. They were both running a bit of a temp. Female 106 male 107 so they were sent home with meloxicam and enrofloxacin.

The next morning make started to crow a bit a first since the milk. (Someone had asked and no it wasn’t administered but their water bowl filled with it so no aspiration there). I only saw a few stool with some orange stringy lining. A number were loose and a bit watery but I attributed that to the meds.

Today. Hmmm. Make crowed proudly at 440 and again an hour later. They have both been rubbing about exploring more. BUT, many more loose droppings than day before and more lining. Of concern are the dropping in the picture. Both around lunchtime and confirmed the female did one. Did not see the other. I sifted thru it and that’s a piece of pine flakes on the edge not a worm. I took away all the bedding last night.

Are the meds wrong? Did the fecal miss a parasite???
Did they test for clostridium?

They ran no tests beyond the fecal. Just parasites. They did say they could maybe send off a sample to a lab for better results but nothing was done att

The proper thing to do would be to take them back to the vet and get more testing done until something becomes clearer, because it really is best to know what is the cause and to have sensitivity testing to know which medication and what dosage is appropriate rather than contribute to the rise of antibiotic resistant bacteria by blindly treating with fish biotics at home.…but after going that route the last few years and being conned a few times by people that “cant really tell if it’s Giardia” I’m now one of those people that just treats my birds myself.

If those droppings were from one of mine I would guess it’s probably Giardia/clostridium again because those two don’t like to make guest star appearances without the other and I’d start them on metro and Tylosin.
Coccidia is still suspect and can be treated with corid but Toltrazuril is more effective and you only have to give it to them for 3 days.

metronidazole dosage is 50mg for 5 to 7 days, id go for the 7 days.

https://birdpalproducts.com/products/metronidasole-fish-capsules-200-mg?_pos=4&_sid=7cce0188f&_ss=r

https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds?_pos=1&_sid=264953a8f&_ss=r

Last edited:
Oh to clarify I had seen worms with other animals in prior years all with negative tests…so my confidence in taking these guys in for the test is low.
I also had this experience.. it's because parasites and their eggs can pass intermittently.. and not show up in every dropping.
They ran fecals on both-fresh samples. They came back negative. They were both running a bit of a temp. Female 106 male 107
Normal temperature for chickens is 105-107 so they were NOT running a fever.

Part of the problem MAY BE obsession with the poops.. enhanced by ALL the things being thrown at it.

Meloxicam is an anti inflamatory/pain reliever med.. and enroflaxin is an antibiotic. Anti biotics often effect waste.

Here’s the kicker. All this of course happened over holidays, the breeder after 10 days got back to me. First she said they were raised on wet mash and not dry food so after traveling and gorging it’s possible that was a factor. she also thought the pics looked like cocci and told me to do a milk flush with whole milk I’m place of their water. I wish I could post a video. Four hours later the name was laying in his side opening his mouth and stretching out. He hadn’t crowed since. I don’t have a camera so unsure who did it but a cecal dropping I wiped up the next day smelled awful-a sweet rancid smell. And I’m concerned the milk fed or created an infection. That’s nice that farms are organic and everything but that old remedy is not safe if there aren’t parasites to flush!

The pics are the day after the milk. Breeders response was …oh that’s crazy you should purchase a consult with our farm vet and talk to him. I’m taking the pair into an emergency vet this morning for exam and tests.
That looks like coci poo!

I posted on a few other forums and also as an alibi from another vet with one of my birds last year…meloxicam can cause/exacerbate GI issues like bleeding. I recal seeing spots like that on the patio one day. One of my older hens had been in the medication for several days after a fall and was limping badly. She started fighting the pills so I stopped and never saw the droplets again. The male undoubtedly benefited from it fit a cpl days as he was definitely experiencing bloating and pain from the milk (rolling and gasping). Possibly even the antibiotics as another dude effect of milk is ecoli bloom He’s been running around the house and crowing. His color is great today.
The female, not as happy. I know from experience again with other birds that antibiotics of any kind have lots of GI effects from diarrhea to lethardy to stasis.

I’m discontinuing the metacam. He obviously doesn’t need it anymore and it’s likely affecting her negatively.

Question…should I also discontinue the enrofloxacin?

Back
Top Bottom