Dairy Cow

Quote:
A portable milker or a small milk pump and setup would be better if you have had capral tunnel. I know this from experience. Hand milking does bother it.

quick ?, U do no u have to milk her 2X a day every day? I agree that the milk is better but not worth it to me. The advantage of a Jersey or Guernsey is you can buy them cheaper, less milk, more butter fat. A good holstein will cost a lot more than either of these breeds. You could go w/dual purpose like milking shorthorn, belted galleway's, etc.

As I chef & historical cook I have a great desire to do more cheese making so I looked into a dairy cow too. When I discovered how much milk I would have to deal with on a daliy basis I decided it just wasn't doable...untill I discovered miniture cows...which really aren't mini's but the size cows were originally ...before we got them to produce 50 gals a day! They are , of course, much more expensive but, there are breeders all over the country. It might be something to investigate!
Good Luck
Sarah

1. If a full size is too much milk go to minicattle.com Lots of resources for small breeds etc.
2. Another option is a cowshare www.wildthingorganics.com
3. If you have carpal tunnel and a surge system is way too expensive google "Maggidans Milker" It works like a charm and they do have a system that WILL work on a cow if you email them.
4. You can single milk a cow rather than 2x daily. You will get more cream for the volume and it is a fairy tale that a cow will dry up faster if you do.
5. Goats milk does not taste or smell if you follow good procedures and seperate from the buck.

Also check with your local 4H clubs or Young Farmers. They may have or know of young heifers that are fairly tame avaliable for sale. Also you may want to keep a calf around to drink the extra milk. Cows can produce alot of milk.

Thanks everyone, for your ideas. I have filed them away for future reference. If you have anything more to add, I am "all ears".

Karen,
I liked your website!! THanks for sharing.

just my two cents worth on the goat vs. cow option...

i was raised on a dairy farm. drank sweet fresh milk from jersey cows until i was 18 years old when we sold the dairy
sad.png
always missed the milk, so i bought a young jersey heifer a year ago. but i got too impatient for the milk, so i decided to get a dairy goat "just until we can get cows milk".

let me tell you, from someone who was WAY biased... fresh goats milk is delicious! i love it so much that i was thinking about selling the cow! (decided against it)
my fiance, who grew up in a big city, about gagged when i would talk about getting a dairy goat. now he won't even drink bought milk!

so anyway, sorry that was long. but my point is... it wouldn't hurt to try it out!
big_smile.png

Just wanted to add. Do not base your judgement on goats milk taste on the garbage you typically find in the stores. It in no way tastes like, or has the consistency of fresh goats milk. You can say the same for cows milk also.

Back
Top Bottom