Damn government fearmongers

Xerocles

Songster
May 22, 2019
Clinton (piedmont) S.C.
Eggs are bad for you. Eggs are good for you. Some amount of eggs are good for you. Some are not. Salmonella. From backyard chickens. 1000 cases reported this year. 2 people died. Estimated 29000 got Salmonella from chickens so far this year. I'm 67 and according to the CDC it's hazardous to my health to keep chickens and I should not be around them. I just read an article about a woman who died from her rooster attacking her.
this all started 8 months ago when I read a government report that said most auto accidents happen within 50 miles of home. So I left and moved to this Farm 80 miles away, to try to be safe.
If any of you decide to come visit me, please just slide a note under my door. I'm scared to open the door anymore. Everything out there is trying to get me.

Eggs are bad for you. Eggs are good for you. Some amount of eggs are good for you. Some are not. Salmonella. From backyard chickens. 1000 cases reported this year. 2 people died. Estimated 29000 got Salmonella from chickens so far this year. I'm 67 and according to the CDC it's hazardous to my health to keep chickens and I should not be around them. I just read an article about a woman who died from her rooster attacking her.
this all started 8 months ago when I read a government report that said most auto accidents happen within 50 miles of home. So I left and moved to this Farm 80 miles away, to try to be safe.
If any of you decide to come visit me, please just slide a note under my door. I'm scared to open the door anymore. Everything out there is trying to get me.
I hear you. So many snowflakes anymore.

I read the same article about salmonella. I think I calculated that about 0.29% of chicken owners got salmonella...seriously? Maybe they should explore the psychological benefits from having chickens as companions. Mine provide excellent stress relief and immeasurable joy. Or, the benefits of fresh, wholesome meat and eggs. I wonder how many people actually got salmonella from grocery store eggs and meat. How many people died from dog bites? How many people had serious infections from cat bites? How many people died from mosquito borne illnesses? How many people were hospitalized with Lyme from ticks? Salmonella from my chickens is small on my list of worries. I wash my hands.

You can’t be afraid to live life how you want to. No statistic can really be trusted. Now I’m not saying “live life to the absolute fullest and get yourself killed” no, no. Don’t do that, buuut, don’t let your fear get in the way of you having the best life you can possibly have.

Also, I think they said 2 people out of the 10,000,000 chicken owners died from salmonella. If I am understanding correctly, the risk of death is really low and having chickens as pets should actually be considered very safe. It seems like it is all in how you spin it. Writing the article the way they did definitely gets attention if that is what they were after. Of course, I hate hearing that anyone has died from getting sick from their pet and educating people about the importance of hand hygiene is a really positive thing.

Also, I think they said 2 people out of the 10,000,000 chicken owners died from salmonella. If I am understanding correctly, the risk of death is really low and having chickens as pets should actually be considered very safe. It seems like it is all in how you spin it. Writing the article the way they did definitely gets attention if that is what they were after. Of course, I hate hearing that anyone has died from getting sick from their pet and educating people about the importance of hand hygiene is a really positive thing.
Honestly stores are just peaved that people aren’t buying eggs from them. If anything I’m a little more cautious with store bought eggs with the way most places bleach them and stuff. But I cannot tell you how dry my hands are from handing my chickens and all my other animals.

They have a responsibility to provide reliable information that everyone can count on. That means the elderly, the very young and the infirmed along with everyone else. They are not telling you what you MUST do. They're telling you what you need to know to make informed decisions.

0.29% of chicken owners get salmonella? Well count me in the 0.29%. I had stomach aches and persistent diarrhea for the first 2 weeks I had chickens. I wasn't surprised. I read all about good hygiene and then decided I had a healthy immune system and I took a relaxed approach about washing my hands every time I touched a chicken or anything associated with them. Two weeks and 2 days after I first got them I was through with the salmonella and never had it again. I can pick up wet poo in my bare hands and eat a sandwich and it's not going to bother me. That's what a healthy immune system does when we take it out for a spin. But should the government tell someone who goes through their lives wiping down a grocery cart with alcohol wipes on the off chance another human being touched it before them to eat raw eggs that came from a commercial operation where the chicken next to the one that laid the egg might have had a raging infection and sprayed everything in the vicinity with raw poo?

They're writing about the lowest common denominator. And if they didn't they'd be derelict. You, OTOH, probably know exactly how your chickens live and what they're exposed to and what your immune system is capable of. So, you read what the USDA and the FDA write and make an informed decision. GOOD FOR YOU! That's all exactly as it should be!

I vote they are just trying to kill us off with stress. though the ones that are stupid enough to eat tide pods may try to eat raw eggs lol, most of us have common sense

Even their so called experts can't agree on anything because interest get the results they want it's no longer true science, it's getting to where they are about as believable as the National Enquirer lol

Back
Top Bottom