Dandelion Control

Chazwork

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
Our yard is divided into 5 areas, each divided from the other by fences. There's the dogs area by the house, the area around the coop. The free range area for the chickens, the garden area, and the area out side all the fences. This year as my wife and I sat swinging on our back porch, I noticed that there were no dandelions in the free range area of our yard. there are lots outside of all the fences, there are several in the dogs area and the garden area, but only a couple in the free range area. Keep in mind, I don't put chemicals on any of these areas because I don't want chemicals in my food, dogs or chickens. Chemicals are bad news for all! Do chickens eat every dandelion seed that falls? If they do then I am thinking about turning my chickens loose on the rest of my yard. Not the garden, they like the kale, zucchini, and tomatoes too much. I mean the free range area of my yard looks like I had it treated! Who knew that could be a side effect from free ranging chickens!

My guess is that they are eating the dandelion greens as they grow. They will not get to the flower stage, they are gone before that.

If you toss them some of the yellow dandelion flowers they will probably eat them and turn the egg yolks even darker. It really doesn’t make the eggs any more nutritious, but I just like those darker yolks.

Back
Top Bottom