Dandelions

I will have to try giving mine dandelions and see if they like them. Thanks for all the ideas, I never knew chicks ate more than their feed.

My 6wk old chicks love clover. When I first put them in their coop that was their bedtime treat every night. They are still learning about other greens. When they were about 3weeks old they went nuts for worms, now they just look at them. They still have a lot of lawn in their run but I suspect once that is all gone they will be more interested in what ever greens I throw in.

They love dairy products, cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese. I made some Mozz. over the weekend and saved the Whey to try, I hear it's good to give them so we'll see how they like it.

I grow wheat grass (fodder) for my birds and they all devour it, but the birds love just about any type of green you give them, the geese most of all.

~ Aspen

Last edited:
can you give the month old chicks watermelon rind? will they just eat the white rind with green skin on the back?
Thanks,
Karen

Each of my hens has a different favorite, but they never miss a chance to terrorize the lettuce patch of my garden if they can get in there. I noticed they'd rather eat dandelion greens while they're stuck in the ground as they can tear bites off the leaves easier. Once I put a whole pile of dug-up dandelions out for them and they had some trouble with it. They would try to tear off a piece of leaf and the whole plant would fly up in the air.

Sometimes I give them a handful of cheerios as a treat. One of my hens is broody and has been quite jumpy when she takes a break from sitting on the nest. Yesterday she stalked a little pile of cheerios for several minutes, repeatedly sneaking up close and then jumping back with a squawk like they were going to bite her. It was quite comical.

Hahahahaha
yuckyuck.gif

I free range my chickens so they eat EVERYTHING! Any animal, high in protien is of course thier favorite, But, as chicks I give them natural foods from day one. One of the favorites is dandelion or clover or any type of weed that is available, either pulled up or dug up with roots and dirt attached. They like the small hair like roots, it's easy for a chick to eat and conditions them to forage when they get older.

mark

Back
Top Bottom