Dandelions

So I agree with several folks about my chickens liking the dandelions that are not loose, as the leaves fly around and are hard to tear. I sometimes tear a random fat dandelion leaf from the ground, and feed it through the wire into the chicken run. They rip it apart like a paper shredder, like 2 inches per second. I have caught myself staring at the local parks, where the dandelions are thick, daydreaming about free ranging my chickens there. They should have a free range day once a week, make the chicken folks happy and call it weed control!
lau.gif
wee.gif
D.gif

For treats mine love mealworms, Cheerios and grapes...for these I have to watch my fingers!
I've tried banana, some like it and some can't get past the soft that's a banana. Lol. Funny to watch them try it and get this look like "what the heck, yuck" and then walk away.
I've read cucumbers, but so far mine aren't biting.
They love to free range and anything green is on their list, though if I'm cutting grasses for them the clover and plantain seem to go first.
I love trying something new to see the reactions I get.

Mine still hate grapes, won't touch them. Today they discovered watermelon, and they devoured it. It's heavy enough they can rip chunks off, and it's sweet and full of juice. They ate everything but the skin on the rinds!

I always thought the same as you two about dandellions and found my chickens loving them too. Thanks a lot for the info on that.

I put my kitchen scraps in the chicken heep. They take care of most everything. Although I do with they'd eat more clover. The chicken yard overgrowth.

[COLOR=800080]When they are young they typically don't need grit if they are being feed chick starter.  If you do want to feed them grit you can give them grit from a pet store.  They sell it for parrots or another kind of pet bird.  If they are kept outside sometimes the can pick up enough from the ground depending on your soil.[/COLOR]

Thanks for the info !

My girls love their clover, they will scour the yard for a little taste. But mine are certainly bananas over spagetti noodles. They are so crazy, when they see me go in the garage (where the noodles are stored in the fridge) they wait at the door for me to come out. Even if I don't have the noodles, they are waiting anxiously. It is certainly every chicken for her own belly when there are noodles involved!
D.gif

My girls have discovered toad stools, mushroom. I know they are poisonous to us but what about them?

Back
Top Bottom