Dang hawk

tnokie

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Had a hawk dive at my bantams today,apparently it couldn't see the wire! Bounced right off and set on the ground befuddled for a monent. Scared the bantams real good though. Now I have to figure out how to get the hawk(houses to close to shoot at it.(

tnokie......I think a few times of the hawk bouncing off the wires....might deter him from coming back. SO GLAD you have them safe and covered. We have several hawks hanging around here...but the larger RIR roos are very protective, and make sure all the ladies get inside in time...so far..and haveing the muscovy ducks is a plus. I think they keep the hawks at bay, for the most part. I call them my pit bull ducks... LOL

Don't do anything to the Hawks, it is illegal. I sure wish I could get rid of my owl problem, but I don't care to go to jail! Hawks can only carry half their body weight, red tailed hawks weigh five pounds, so you have to watch out for your Bantams, but RIR's should be fine. They could scratch the larger chickens trying to carry them off, (this happened to my neighbors cat) but they won't make it off the ground.

my girls are so scared of anything. I have a tether ball pole in my yard and they freak out when my nephews play but its across the yard far away. its crazy. but when the hawks (or anything ) flies overhead they scatter for cover.

Couldn't you put a scarecrow or something up there? Theres all sorts of strange things to keep out other birds and I don't see why a scarecrow sitting on the top wouldn't work. I dunno, just an idea off the top of my head. ha. IF anything its an idea for a last resort.

when an Air Attack is at their IP My Air Raid Wardens give the alarm. (Guinea hens) My RIR's give the alarm when a ground assault is in progress. My 12 ga or my 410 ga.take care of ground or air action. we have a good set up. of course, 1/4 in hardware cloth and netting do a great job too. The other four footed Centry dogs are on duty 24/7 mostly 3rd shift tho. In Texas, if a hawk is after your stock you have a right to protect your propity.

Uh, BigW, you have never had the experience of a hawk attack, have you? I lost my 2 best layers last year to a red-tailed hawk. It flew into the run, killed the bird, and proceeded to eat it right there. There was no "carrying off" to it. So, I put deer netting over the run. Next day it came back, hit the net, walked around a bit, then tore a hole in the net and killed another bird. Now keep in mind these birds were my largest marans. Way bigger than RIR. SSS

tnokie, Some of the hawks are migratory, so in the spring and fall they are on the move. Chances are this hawk was stopping for lunch on it's way to nesting grounds.

Hopefully the hawk won't be back, most are fast learners. Having said that the hawk won't waste energy knowing it's futule.

bigzio

roll.png

I would hate to have to harm any bird of prey. They are magnificent and beautiful birds. I also hate to watch my pigeons and chickens get pinged off one by one by a predetory bird that thinks he's found a free lunch buffet. They are smart, and willing to keep trying if they think they can eat for free. In Michigan, your not allowed to shoot a hawk, but your also not granted any aid by the DNR as to how to protect your flock.

Having been in this situation a time or two, I have to agree, depending on your individual circumstanses........

S.S.S

the end:)

Back
Top Bottom