Dang roosters

Kirmi8

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
Canada (Prairies)
Perhaps I am over thinking things, but I have two 6 month old roosters (Easter egger mutt types) in with 39 hens, 17 mature leghorns, and a the rest are a mix of 6 month - 1 year old heritage mixes and 4 bantams.
I feel like the hens are getting terrorized. When I go in a night to refill water and make sure food is good and get the last eggs for the day, the roosters jump from the roosts and then start going after the hens again. It is like a panic situation it seems for several of the hens trying to get away and then hiding in the nesting boxes. I have a ton of feather loss and bald headed ladies now.
I’m just about done with these boys and I am seriously thinking they need to go.

Is it worth waiting to see if these roosters will mellow out? Or if they are being mean to the girls now, it will just continue on? One is a little more gentle than the other but he is also twice the size. There is no fighting between the roosters other than trying to push each other off a hen.
Would it make a difference to get rid of one?
I’m not one to cull unnecessarily but I take a lot of joy in hanging out in the coop at the end of the day and observing and giving treats and since the boys started this it has not been enjoyable for anyone it seems.

My intent with having roosters was another layer of predator protection and thought the hens would like to have them as well. Not interested in fertilized eggs at all.

please share your thoughts. (Also totally willing to admit that I am anthropomorphising the situation).

They are destroying your joy of the flock. Always solve for peace in the flock. So you probably need to pull them if you have anywhere else to put them. If not just cull them. The first rooster I culled, I did dilly dally. After that, you won't dilly dally again. Peace in the flock is worth it, and what animal husbandry is about.

Mrs K

Well, since you guys have come along with me on my rooster stress journey, just thought I’d update you and let you know that we’ve culled the main culprit. I’m giving the other guy a chance to prove he is a nice guy and see if the hens come out of hiding and are happier with him. I also clued in to some other behaviours that might have meant trouble for me as he always crowed and fluffed up anytime I came to the run and had no problem being in my same space where the other guy usually takes off and rarely crows at all (I know this will change now, but I will be keeping an close eye on him).
Anyways, it wasn’t a fun decision to make and I feel like I’ve betrayed him (ugh, I know) but it went smoothly and quickly and most likely the very best decision for the flock. Thanks again for words of wisdom and support for this newbie chicken lady.

Do you think it’s worth culling the rougher one and see if things relax with just the one? Or just make the decision that roosters aren’t for me and move on.
The most frustrating part is that he treat calls and dances for the girls but then just grabs them by the neck any chance he can.
The other tends to just hop on and do his thing and it seems to be a lot more gentle - but perhaps that’s because he is trying to be more sneaky.
gah. I just don’t know.
It's up to you what you do but until the hormones start to calm down it sounds like they are going to make life miserable for your girls. If you can pen them off for awhile that would help. Otherwise I would cull them or rehome them, and you might be better getting an older rooster off a breeder as an older rooster will be a lot calmer, breeders tend to only keep gentle, non human aggressive roosters (the good ones anyway), and he'll know how to do his job properly (young ones tend to just run and hide from a predator attack).

Cockerels are frustrating creatures. :rolleyes:

25F0DF8E-89BA-4877-AFC9-0BDFD2FEBCBB.jpeg

I think you did the right thing. Especially since he was starting to think bad thoughts toward you. I am very happy with a cockerel/rooster that takes off when I come near. Watch him, and if he starts behaving badly you can always cull him then.
2 days later and I am totally at peace with my decision. The calm in the flock is back and I am enjoying watching and doing chicken chores again. It’s just so much better. No more scrambling and shrieking hens, and I’ve honestly not even seen the other rooster go after a hen since the other guy has been gone (which I’m sure he does, just not while I’m around).
I will definitely not agonize for so long next time I have an issue (hopefully we are clear of that not).

Back
Top Bottom