Dangerous chickens?!

Agreed all three are looking like cockerals almost certainly. I did have a buff silkie hen once that developed quickly and layed at 4-5 months. I thought for sure she was a rooster until I saw her lay. Unfortunately I think she was the exception.

The aggression has probably increased because they now have a lady to fight over. They are also maturing but with the addition of Helen the bachelor group without the issues of wanting to be high on the pecking order for breeding rights has become a problem.

Add to that they have no natural caution around you guys and that leaves them more likely to bite nip or be aggressive. Especially when they're in their run because they can't escape. Children are often the ones that get attacked unfortunately because they're smaller and their jerky movements and loud laughter and giggles can be seen as a threat. They are also closer to the size of the birds and so may be seen as an easier target to dominate rather than taking on a fully grown adult.

Added to all of this they're young birds that are really being flooded with testosterone right now and I think you have your answer.

I do have some silkies that enjoy handling but I have had some that don't. Part of that is my own fault as I had a group that I was too busy to handle frequently. They are nice but don't seek out handling and try to avoid being picked up but relax immediately in my arms. I have had one aggressive silkie hen that would practically draw blood when she was broody. All the rest were wonderful.

Also not all silkie roosters are aggressive most/nearly all from my experience are not but it also depends on the line they're from as there is a genetic component. How they're raised and treated the amount of space etc.
We did have one silkie rooster that was unpredictable and we rehomed him with full disclosure that he was occasionally charging me. As a lone rooster with a harem of hens in his new home he never showed any aggression and was even taught to walk on a leash.

I have had 3 silkies in the past and found them friendly. even the one rooster i had was a good guy. I did not attempt to handle the roosters i have though.
I want them to stay separate and kind of fearful of me, this keeps me at the top of the pecking order and he does not attack me.
on this subject of unfriendly hens.
I had a hen once, her name was Asa, because she was black as the Asa-spades. anyway she dident like to be handled, she would flap her wings madly and squawk like i was killing her. she was also dominate hen in the flock and would peck all the other hens to show her dominance. some people would have culled her or re-homed her.
one year she hatched 6 chicks. she was a terror and would not allow me, the rooster or any other hens near her babies. very protective, but i was just happy to look at them at a distance.
Then one day i was in the kitchen preparing a meal when all h*!! broke out outside.
i glanced out the window and a red fox was in the yard, right by the coop (i free range) and Asa was squawking like mad. she before my eyes flew into the face of that fox flapping and growling and would hit the ground again with her wings down, her hackles up and again fly into his face, beat him up and hit the ground again.
i can honestly say i have never seen anything like it. i of course grabbed the gun on my way out the door and the fox retreated. she cackled for another 10 minutes, then make a clucking noise and all 6 of her babies came to her from hidden spots in the yard. all the other chickens had fled to the coop. but this girl was going to fight to the death for her babies.
i will never get rid of a dominate or standoffish hen ever. they are worth there weight in gold.

I have had 3 silkies in the past and found them friendly. even the one rooster i had was a good guy. I did not attempt to handle the roosters i have though.
I want them to stay separate and kind of fearful of me, this keeps me at the top of the pecking order and he does not attack me.
on this subject of unfriendly hens.
I had a hen once, her name was Asa, because she was black as the Asa-spades. anyway she dident like to be handled, she would flap her wings madly and squawk like i was killing her. she was also dominate hen in the flock and would peck all the other hens to show her dominance. some people would have culled her or re-homed her.
one year she hatched 6 chicks. she was a terror and would not allow me, the rooster or any other hens near her babies. very protective, but i was just happy to look at them at a distance.
Then one day i was in the kitchen preparing a meal when all h*!! broke out outside.
i glanced out the window and a red fox was in the yard, right by the coop (i free range) and Asa was squawking like mad. she before my eyes flew into the face of that fox flapping and growling and would hit the ground again with her wings down, her hackles up and again fly into his face, beat him up and hit the ground again.
i can honestly say i have never seen anything like it. i of course grabbed the gun on my way out the door and the fox retreated. she cackled for another 10 minutes, then make a clucking noise and all 6 of her babies came to her from hidden spots in the yard. all the other chickens had fled to the coop. but this girl was going to fight to the death for her babies.
i will never get rid of a dominate or standoffish hen ever. they are worth there weight in gold.
I personally don’t have Roosters. My Alfa hen is fearce,serious and kick*ss. Don’t know...she just makes me proud. I am just in awe she’s a total love to me.

00940CC2-3503-4E77-8D8D-D80030467AEF.jpeg
This is her 6 months after. Don’t know what she got into it with. If it was a hawk or what. It was a bad wound. You can still see the deep bruise she’s still healing. Poor pic but I did it one handed. That’s her back BTW

:mad: I stopped reading the thread when it said 2year old daughter and a peck. Is she beautiful? Does she have any scars on her beautiful face? Does she have beautiful eyes? You get my point. :he
How about you don’t imply that people are bad parents because of accidents? OP knows now that the cockerels can’t be trusted, lay off and offer some helpful advice.

Sorry for your bad luck OP. I would agree that upgrading their living space will make a world of difference; unfortunately overcrowding is a huge issue with chickens and most new owners aren’t aware of it. Those three cockerels probably aren’t going to get better as you know, I would order some more friendly sexed chicks while you figure out the coop situation.

Back
Top Bottom