Dangerous Water Warmer

xke4

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2007
A word of warning. Plug in and check with your hand the temperature of your metal water warmer before using. I have three that I ordered from my feed store last year that I can place any plastic jug on safely. As well, they are sealed underneath so nothing can get in and touch the element. I asked them to order me another but the one that was sent this time was different. It is made by Little Giant ( no name on the original ones...just plain brown cardboard boxes) and when I checked it after being plugged in for a minute or two, I could have made tea with the amount of heat it generated. It was HOT not warm. Also, the whole of the underside was open except a tiny area right where the main wiring entered the unit. I returned it and will wait the few weeks to get the other kind in. I will ask them who the manufacturer of the desired one is and report back.

Good Morning everyone, I received my newest water warmer yesterday and I would like to recommend it. The name on the box says "Brower Auto Electric Heater Base" " A division of Hawkeye Steel, made in Houghton, Iowa. This is my 4th and I have used these in my wooden coops on wooden floors to warm plastic water bowls for 2 years now without any problem. They are barely warm but enough to keep the water from freezing and are completely sealed underneath.

Thanks you so much for letting us know the manufacturer. I had gotten a little giant right before you posted your original post....and then I was scared to use it!! The warning on the sheet inside even says do not use near water....does that make sense for a waterer warmer??!!

I was trying to decide if i should buy those heated bases or the new plug in waterer. I would have to buy 2 of whatever i do as i have the coop divided. Well since they were so expensive and i am very afraid of fire......i decided to try the brooder lamp in the coop. It sometimes seem too warm in there and the water NEVER freezes. I am at the vermont border and it has been in the single digits a few times already this winter. We have them hanging on a chain from a hook in the ceiling that it cannot come off of. Its safe and effective and alot less expensive. I'm sure other people do this too....but for those trying to keep the water from freezing, this turned out to be a good solution and keeps the coop warm too. Just be sure its secure.

I see one over at the Meyer Hatchery page. It is about $35 less than what they charge us up here in the Great White North but it is worth every penny in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing. I have a plastic water also and have been debating if I should switch to metal or buy the new plug in water. I actually have to go to Rural King tomorrow for wood shavings, so I'll check and see what kind of water heater they have.
Thanks!

I looked at one of them a couple of weeks ago, and noticed it didn't have a bottom on it, there was no way I was going to buy it. My chicken coop would burn down and then I'd have to start all over again. They are making the plastic ones now, and I just ordered 3 of them last week.

Back
Top Bottom