Dangit Palm!

ConchRepublic

Looking For My Marbles
10 Years
Jan 22, 2010
Dunnellon, Fl
We have a Key West Gypsy Gamebird hen named Palm. We got Palm right after she hatched 7 chicks (only 5 left when we had picked her up). We seperated her form the chicks to make the chicks more friendly, and stuck Palm in with a Gyspy Roo and another hen. They got along fine. Now we thought palm would settle down and become friendly, just like the other hen did. Welp, not much luck. Palm stuck to the side of the roo and wouldn't let us even come within 3 feet before hauling it across the coop.

Now a little while ago, she managed to sneak out of the coop when I was walking out. We spent days chasing her rear across the yard trying to catch her, every day she'd spend all her time sitting outside the coop scratching away... After about a week, we gave up and just left her. One day, I needed to work on a couple things in the coop, so put the two gypsies still there(afraid the roo would have run off too if we gave him a chance) in a wire pen, and let the other birds free range. After a bit I had to go see if I could find something in an old shed. I walk away then come back after about 5 minutes. Now walking back I hear hollerin. I look up and see the DW running towards me shouting "Palm's in the coop! Palm's in the coop! What do I do!?!"

Now... she's running towards me. I just look at her and shout back "Well go shut the door, don't run towards me! Go shut the door!"

So the door got shut, we'd trapped Palm and caught her. Put her in the pen with the other 2 and she seemed happy.

Next couple days only thing she'd do was to follow the roo around. She NEVER left his side at all. Then about 3 days after catching her, I went to feed. I opened the door and saw a little gray dart go right between my legs. I turn around shutting the door again and see Palm, trotting off into the woods cackling away.

Now, she's ben out for a couple days, every day sitting by the coop making more racket than the rooster and running around. Every time we go out here she starts cackling and runs off into the woods.

I go out there today to grab a dog crate we had left out there from a little while ago. I hear something rolling inside it and so I take a look. Palm had been nesting in there and had a couple of eggs sitting inside it.

Now to go and try to catch her little butt and throw her back in the coop...

Quote:
They a "breed" that came about semi-naturally. About 200 years ago, Spanish ships let some Spanish Gamecocks out on "Bone Island" (Now known as Key West, Fl. ever since then they have lived wild. The people going to and from have had chickens escaped or let loose and they joined the breeding population. So now, the Key West Gypsy, was created. The roos are very game bird like, while hens look a lot similar to wading birds like Sand Pipers, but with larger tails lol. They are one of the most varied in coloration out here. We've seen birds who look like millie fluers in color, buff orps, dominiques, a kind of "reverse milli fleur" Where they are white with color speckled all over, and some unique which seems to have parts from many different breeds.

Also, they are legally protected by law in Key West. So if you hurt, kill, or use them for fighting, you get some seriously trouble with the cops
lol.png
they are considers the Conch Republic's "National Bird" (That's another, much longer story lol)

Quote:
They a "breed" that came about semi-naturally. About 200 years ago, Spanish ships let some Spanish Gamecocks out on "Bone Island" (Now known as Key West, Fl. ever since then they have lived wild. The people going to and from have had chickens escaped or let loose and they joined the breeding population. So now, the Key West Gypsy, was created. The roos are very game bird like, while hens look a lot similar to wading birds like Sand Pipers, but with larger tails lol. They are one of the most varied in coloration out here. We've seen birds who look like millie fluers in color, buff orps, dominiques, a kind of "reverse milli fleur" Where they are white with color speckled all over, and some unique which seems to have parts from many different breeds.

Also, they are legally protected by law in Key West. So if you hurt, kill, or use them for fighting, you get some seriously trouble with the cops
lol.png
they are considers the Conch Republic's "National Bird" (That's another, much longer story lol)

That's a very interesting piece of information.I typed that in and couldn't get anything.No pictures of them,nothing.Is there a link that shows some pictures?

One of my favorite reasons to visit Key West is to see the chickens all over with their chicks. I love them. I had heard they were thinking to eliminate them, I do hope they are protected. If you get too many chickens, just thin the flock. Easy, no reason to eliminate them. I hope they keep remembering they are a great asset for Key West.

Quote:
The "elimination" is taking captured birds and adopting them out. That's how we got ours.

Here are some images of the 3 I have.

The dark one is the pain in my... err I mean it's Palm. This is the day we brought them home.
6h22jm.jpg

This is what I mean by "wading bird" looking
vne5vs.jpg

Went out this morning and she had dug a trench completely around the coop...
hmm.png
Now I got to get some dirt and fill it in.

Last edited:
Quote:
I still feel stupid....
sad.png
I wanted to make sure you heard me cause you were all the way on the other side of the pasture!

And I was afraid Palm was gunna see me when I went closer to the coop and run out again...

Quote:
I hope so too, we plan on selling fertile eggs when we get her caught again. We have a couple in the bator right now, they'll be in lockdown the end of this week.

Back
Top Bottom