d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Pics
Quote:
Thanks a lot, (you too RAREROO) we are prowd of them and have spent a ton of money trying to get the best. I have gotten tons of comments on those porcelains though, Mr Shepherd did me good on those!
Just let me know when you are ready and I'll be glad to get you some up.
Thanks again, it means a lot to me!
Aubrey

Last edited:
They do when they decide to. They are nothing like cochins or silkies. But when they finally decide to, they are every bit as good at it.
I wouldnt get them relying on them to be broody though, about once a season is all they'll do, but they are laying little machines. 60 a hen is fairly common on mine....

Aubrey, I'm going to pester you again with a question! I have my main laying flock of about 28 hens with my Delaware rooster. I was thinking that instead of making a separate bantam coop for D'Anvers, I would remove my Del rooster from there and some of his own Del ladies, and I could possibly have the D'Anvers flock in with the laying hens , including the pint-sized roosters. I can collect the bantam eggs easily, the little hens would be fertile and the big girls, well, doesn't matter if they are fertile or not, but they will have less wear and tear on their feathers. Will that work with this breed? Does that make sense? There is plenty of room in that coop for a good number of bantams as well as the girls who reside there now, and there are 9 oversized nests. Or would they be better off away from the big girls? This is alot of thinking way ahead of time, but I guess I do need to know this from someone who really knows this breed well, as you do. Helps me know what I can and can't do.

I know your not asking me
hide.gif
but i think that could work as long as you have more danvers than laying birds. And introduce them slowly of course :)!
But ive seen that!

Yes, It should be fine, just watch your big girls and make sure they dont turn bully on you and hurt them. The roosters can probably handle themselves any way, but the little hens are just as gentle as can be and might be at risk. I wouldnt do it slowly, put them all in at once, that takes the focus away from any 1 individual and usually prevents any bullying.
But yes, as long as the big boys are out of there, you should be just fine with that arrangement.

Thanks, I appreciate your input on this. Many of my hens are getting older now and seems the older ladies don't bully anyone much at all. Now that I have decided on the D'Anvers over the D'Uccles, I'm itching to get going, but it will be a few months before I can really think about it seriously.

Back
Top Bottom