d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

haha never mind, JJ posted some as I was typing my reply.... see how they look off white with "stained" hackle areas..... splash quail !

I think the hatchery's pick out all the black ones and sell as quail and could be the people that bought at the feed store before you picked out the blue ones.
Thank you for your thoughts on their coloring. Splash Quail, hmmm, OK that sounds good to me-LOL! Or maybe Blue Splash? The striped (chipmunk) chicks are Welsummers and/or Americana/Easter Eggers, not d'Anvers. I'll try to take some more closer-up photos of the d'Anvers as they feather in, especially. Yesterday I was playing with them and observing their feathers and actually saw some of the grey ("blue") feathering that you suggested.

Is blue-splash even an accepted color or is it more of a project color or is it an "oops" color from hatchery breeding?
big_smile.png

I have another question, which I hope doesn't offend any d'anver breeders. Once these chicks are older and start laying eggs, my son wants to allow some of the hens to breed with one of our silkie roosters...........I'm not crazy about the idea because I don't like mixed breeds. However, he says he wants to see what kind of mutt chikens they would get and it couldn't hurt to be creative, I guess.
Does anyone have a clue what sort of offspring a d'Anver/Silkie pairing would produce? I'm wondering if it would look similar to a d'uccle or smooth frizzle of sorts?

I have another question, which I hope doesn't offend any d'anver breeders.  Once these chicks are older and start laying eggs, my son wants to allow some of the hens to breed with one of our silkie roosters...........I'm not crazy about the idea because I don't like mixed breeds. However, he says he wants to see what kind of mutt chikens they would get and it couldn't hurt to be creative, I guess.
Does anyone have a clue what sort of offspring a d'Anver/Silkie pairing would produce?  I'm wondering if it would look similar to a d'uccle or smooth frizzle of sorts?

Silkies are being used to recreate the watermaal. Crossing is how new breeds are developed.

never hurts to play, heck that's how all these d'anver colors were made.

but no, it'd be a rose combed feather legged freaky looking thing with a half way crest. no silkie feathers, that's a recessive gene, he could get silkied ones on the back cross of the chicks though the following year. Foot feathering would improve then too as well as crest size... would be interesting to see for sure..

on the stripes above, I know the bb red looking ones were nt what we were talking about, but blue and splash quail will show back stripes and head markings too as chicks . More of a dark blue on pale grey thing down the back. Looked like what I was seeing.

any blue version of a color be it solid or a pattern like quail will make splash. blue to blue makes 50% blue and 25% each black and splash versions.

That's why I said it might be odd for the blue quail to all come as splash from a hatchery.. But JJ had a good point too about them culling threw and getting the black quail out for quail orders. Makes sence to me.

and yes the blue quail is an ABA accepted color, but the splash quail isnt. Crazy I know, the blue quail makes splash quail, but you cant show it. Blue makes splash, and you can show both???? go figure???

all a splash is though is a blue bird with two genetic copies of the blue gene. a single copy always makes blue, a double copy always makes it splash..

I'll let my son have fun with the breeding of them.....but that's a long way off so I better not count any chicks before these are even laying eggs. BBB, do you sell hatching eggs here on BYC or through your website?

I enjoy hearing about genetics -even though half of it goes over my head. With my silkies I stuck to a Blue/Black/Splash breeding pen, until I hatched out some pretty white ones. Now, I'm incubating more whites and want to start a partridge pen too.

Back
Top Bottom