d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Here are the youngest of Aimee's pullet chicks, the smaller one being the one who had a bad bout with cocci and we almost lost her. She is growing, certainly, but is still noticeably smaller than the other one, so though we are rehoming the other seven, guess we'll keep little Jenny (DH calls her that). She may never be 100% right, but she has no feather stubs on the legs at least, so if she can lay all right, she'd be a decent breeder.

Aubrey and Maura--Maura's beard is Georgia Clay Red right now from her dustbath, lol. That is Maura's mother, Mina, behind her.

Aimee's 14 week old son with Kentucky Leg Fungus

They are splash, quail (according to Aubrey)
They started out as plain white and have blossomed into pretty birds -especially the boys. The boys are very splashy.

yep, that's 100% what the were. I really like splash males. The hens just don't show much color due to how little reds they have to start with, it just kinda blends in. But the red dilute on the males in a splash form makes this really pretty pale orange you see in this boy....

Well, you know Aimee's kids-some of them have it and some of them don't. She only has a few barely noticeable stubs down the sides of her legs, not full feathers, but her kids get the actual feathers. Both her sons have them but only one of the six daughters in this current group.

Cynthia, glad to hear Jenny made it. I think she will catch up sooner or later.

White quail, updated pics, I think I like this color more every day. Can't wait till next year when they are finished (I hope).

Cynthia, glad to hear Jenny made it. I think she will catch up sooner or later.

White quail, updated pics, I think I like this color more every day. Can't wait till next year when they are finished (I hope).

Thank you, JJ, we're happy she is doing so much better now, too.

That color is very interesting on these chicks in your picture. Can't wait to see how they are at maturity, especially the hackles/saddles on the males.

Here are the youngest of Aimee's pullet chicks, the smaller one being the one who had a bad bout with cocci and we almost lost her. She is growing, certainly, but is still noticeably smaller than the other one, so though we are rehoming the other seven, guess we'll keep little Jenny (DH calls her that). She may never be 100% right, but she has no feather stubs on the legs at least, so if she can lay all right, she'd be a decent breeder.

Aubrey and Maura--Maura's beard is Georgia Clay Red right now from her dustbath, lol. That is Maura's mother, Mina, behind her.

Aimee's 14 week old son with Kentucky Leg Fungus

They are all so pretty! I love the porcelains and have the Mille Fleur on my list of must haves
big_smile.png

Took some pictures today, from outside the pen to avoid my Aubrey's camera thwarting attacks, which can really mess with a picture, lol. How are the pullets looking, Aubrey and JJ? Of course, both cockerels have that dreaded KLF, as does one of the pullets, but all in all, what do you think? They are about 13 weeks old now, except for one pullet and one of the cockerels, who are 15 weeks, having been raised by my LF EE hen outside this group (which, to their utter dismay, are now a part of, lol).

Can't believe no one wants these guys. They'll be laying before someone decides to take them home with them.
hmm.png

I think that is their Aunt Penny in this last photo with the pullet. Penny has lots of patience for her nieces and nephews. I'm still worried about her since she hasn't laid an egg in almost a year now. Seem okay otherwise, though. Awful early to just quit laying, at just 2 1/2 yrs old. Lucy hasn't laid in almost that long, either, and she is a year younger than Penny.

Last edited:
Cynthia, you got a good looking bunch of youngsters their. This is a bad time of year to sell chickens up here too, nobody wants to winter them. But come spring when you only have the ones your keeping for yourself everybody wants some.

My quail pullet won a ribbon at the fair. Reserve Champion Bantam and Reserve Grand Champion out of almost 700 entries. She lost to a crele oegb pullet that was almost perfect.

Back
Top Bottom