d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Caroline is a Bossy Butt through and through, it's true! Her "sister", my Lt. Brahma, died last year, but Caroline just keeps on trucking along. Hasn't laid in over a year, but she is one mean old woman. As head hen, she watches over my severely arthritic Barred Rock hen, Amanda, making sure she's okay and that no one bothers her. Amanda is two months younger than Caroline and can barely walk, but she still lays off and on during the year. Caroline is quite a hen, I must say, which is why I had to ask JJ if he had any LF Brahmas after he mentioned them. So JJ started it! LOL.

Caroline is a Bossy Butt through and through, it's true! Her "sister", my Lt. Brahma, died last year, but Caroline just keeps on trucking along. Hasn't laid in over a year, but she is one mean old woman. As head hen, she watches over my severely arthritic Barred Rock hen, Amanda, making sure she's okay and that no one bothers her. Amanda is two months younger than Caroline and can barely walk, but she still lays off and on during the year. Caroline is quite a hen, I must say, which is why I had to ask JJ if he had any LF Brahmas after he mentioned them. So JJ started it! LOL.
Ok, we will blame JJ
lol.png

Sounds like Caroline is one lucky chicken to have such an understanding owner!
smile.png

Here are the promised pictures of my Khaki Quail pair that I took today. The rooster is getting quite the attitude! It is adorable though! I think I will name him Prince Charming
big_smile.png

Oh, yeah, he has that look in his eye, JJ! Better watch your ankles !

Caroline is a sweet hen (with us), but she does rule with an iron beak wherever she goes. I do love a hen who doesn't take any guff off anyone else.

Last edited:
Chicken I may have to buy eggs from you They are lovely I ended with a Cuckoo trio from Aubrey They are eye catching And my chocolate bantam Orp Roo leaves Tweedledee and his girls alone As long as Tweedledee doesn't make eyes at his harem

You must have read everyone's profile before trashing Silkies and Showgirls . . .
gig.gif
Just don't add bantam Polish to that list. Mine aren't very bright, but they make me laugh!
lol.png

The target of the Silky/Showgirl comment who lives in Kentucky will know who it was intended for.

By the way I really like your Khaki Quail, wish I had room and time for another color.

The target of the Silky/Showgirl comment who lives in Kentucky will know who it was intended for.

By the way I really like your Khaki Quail, wish I had room and time for another color.
Oh, I see . . a playful jab!

Looks like you have plenty of beautiful colors to work with already!
thumbsup.gif
Wish I had room for more colors! I have become especially fond of the khaki, Dun and chocolate colored birds this year!

I'm quite partial to the Buff Brahmas over the Lights, though my Lt. hen was a super great old gal. I do miss Miranda. Had a Lt Brahma cockerel, too, a sexing mistake from Ideal and sold him when he was 15 weeks old, but he was really laidback and friendly. Almost wish I'd kept him at times.

Cleaned out the bantam coop entirely today. I didn't get the walls completely like new because my arm wore out, but the cobwebs, poop on the roosts are mostly gone. Took it down to the bare floor, swept it, sprayed Oxine on roosts, walls and floors and Orange Guard in cracks and crevices to kill any bugs that might want to take up residence there. Fresh shavings on floor and in nests and voila! Fresh smelling coop. There had been too many chicks raised there, too much chick starter all over the floor, and way too many molts, both adult and juvenile, to let it go any longer. Now the other coops look grungy by comparison, but I ran out of steam. The dust in a coop is just astounding sometimes. Wish I could have done a better job, but we're still trying to paint the outside of our house, underside of the porch roof and the million spindles on the porch. There's only so much we have in us old folks.

Note: the clamp is on the end of the high roost because there are so many who want on that high bar that they tend to push the one on the end off. And it's usually Penny.

Last edited:
I have silkies...partridge paint and porcelain... no showgirls no turkens and one splash polish....but I have a gold laced Cochin. Hahaha You know you are coming to the dark hairy legged side....if not my hairy legged horde will invade and ruthlessly. Heck My Little Love Rufus (MF d'anver) has a d' uccle woman and two silkie women that he stole. Hairy legs everywhere! Since I have been accused, tried and convicted, I just as well be guilty. At least they're not Silkies or heaven forbid Showgirls:oops:

Back
Top Bottom