d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

one of the main reasons I picked d'anvers was because they have clean feet, tiny combs, and fluffy faces to cover their wattles.

Those were the exact reason I chose them as my only bantam breed. Of the originals I kept, I've lost Carly recently, as most of you know. I still have Aimee, Penny and my porcelain rooster, Aubrey, who will be 7 years old in April. Then, Mina, who is Spike's mother with Aubrey as his sire, and Sissy, both hens being Aimee's daughters. Aimee lays only a handful of eggs each year. Carly was when she had a stroke of some kind. Mina lays less than Aimee, even has skipped one of her six years. And Sissy, well, she is a dud. I think she laid only a handful of eggs her first year and never again. Penny laid two years and quit, too. So, I'm letting them die out over time. The hens I love. Aubrey is a special kind of stupid. Spike is a little smarter, but not by much, LOL.

I may get another bantam breed rooster to look out for a future mixed laying flock since we lost our only bantam Cochin rooster, who had only big hens in his lifetime, but no more bantam hens for us, I suppose. Though, all chicken plans are subject to change.

As far as buff laced, maybe Aubrey Webb (Boggy Bottom Bantams) has them. He has a ton of colors he's created, close to 20 last time I looked.

I keep Dominique, d'Anver, and Buckeye bantam, though I trust they survive cold weather, we are staying at a hotel that allows pets. The Buckeye bantams come inside. It's nighttime so they are silent. I got them at Ohio today, and we couldn't get home. Apparently it snowed at our house

In bantams I have:

the d'anvers...but I kept loosing girls... we had troubles with a weasel last summer and had issues this year with hatching. I still have 2 roosters... not sure how many hens.

Then I have wheaten ameraucana. Love those, very nice. Rooster is pretty good too, the d'anver roosters tend to be pretty people agressive.

I have a few other bantam hens tossed in, but no other males. 2 Rhode Island reds, one blue Wyandotte (LOVELY girl! so pretty!), and the cutest little white leghorn.

In bantams I have:

the d'anvers...but I kept loosing girls... we had troubles with a weasel last summer and had issues this year with hatching. I still have 2 roosters... not sure how many hens.

Then I have wheaten ameraucana. Love those, very nice. Rooster is pretty good too, the d'anver roosters tend to be pretty people agressive.

I have a few other bantam hens tossed in, but no other males. 2 Rhode Island reds, one blue Wyandotte (LOVELY girl! so pretty!), and the cutest little white leghorn.

Yes the standard size chickens that I breed are Wheaten Ameraucanas and Buckeyes and oh, wait that's it. I also keep for eggs a hatchery Australorp and some hatchery Welsummers, and a show quality Rhode Island. Bantams I breed are Dominiques, Buckeyes, and several varieties of d'Anver. Then there are all those bantams that we can't get rid of because my brothers like them. We also breed bantam Call ducks.

One of the nice things about d'Anver and bantam in general is they can attack you full force (with their spurs clipped) and you won't feel a thing. This has happened to me several times. Unless you are a black bantam Cochin that we don't own named Killer. He is dangerous.

well, one of our d'anvers roosters is pretty bad, and,I have to bend down to check for eggs. He does no damage to me...but it us annoying. I keep hoping that I can breed a nicer roo.

Back
Top Bottom