d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Out of my two D'anvers, my porcelain is the pure devil. I never leave the coop unless I'm bloody. He is vicious. If I reach to refill the feeder he attacks, if I reach for the waterer, same deal. Everything is his and he makes sure I know it.

Out of my two D'anvers, my porcelain is the pure devil. I never leave the coop unless I'm bloody. He is vicious. If I reach to refill the feeder he attacks, if I reach for the waterer, same deal. Everything is his and he makes sure I know it.

Sounds like the original Rusty. Maybe some upside down therapy is in order. But, knowing this breed, it probably wouldn't phase him. They are not the brightest bulbs in the package, generally. Sure wish I had some girls to give you. Aubrey has definitely mellowed over the past couple of years, but he still is a snotty little thing when it suits him.

This weeks hatch results so far is 4 milli & 2 porcelain. One porcelain in incubator and I lost 1 milli. 5 total left. We ate going out of town at the end of month. I have two highschool boys coming to take care of everything. I typically try to keep all chicks with broodies, but I'm thinking they may be better in a brooder. Any opinions? I could sell them as well.

Another dumb question from a d'Anver rookie: Years ago, In WA I always banded my Old English Games (and squabs and Diamond Doves). I used the plastic (numbered) bandettes as they were easy to change out. (Diamond D's usually required teeny plastic spiral bands, as I could never find bandettes small enough for the teeny birds.)

More recently, I never "tagged" my small Sebrights, or larger guineas in GA. I would like to keep records on the d'Anver chicks that I will be receiving, but don't have a clue as to what would be suitable for the tiny d'Anvers. I have never "tagged" the d' Anvers that I have owned.

Any ideas on banding? And what age, is it best to apply "tags"? What size for d'Anvers? I have never applied metal wing bands, but am familiar with wing bands (for large Chix only).... which were used exclusively at an avian research facility in WA where I worked in WA.

Ideas, ......?

Thanks.

I don't band mine so couldn't help. I wish mine would even lay.

I have six hens. Three are four years old and two of those are my only layers now and have been for some time now, Carly and Aimee. Penny is the same age, hasn't laid in ages, though I thought I got two of her eggs recently, I haven't seen her on the nest so could have been mistaken. Maybe they were Aimee's, just more pointy.

Lucy and Mina are three years old and I haven't seen an egg from either in over a year. Sissy is only a couple of years old now and she also hasn't laid in ages and ages. Her eggs are distinctive, very broad at the big end so I'm sure she isn't laying. What is up with these hens??? They get good nutrition, lots of light-heck their little 4x8 coop has two big windows, one in front and one that takes up the entire end almost. They aren't overmated. Aubrey rarely even breeds the hens. Spike isn't that enthusiastic, either, but he does his part. This is one reason I am not getting more of them. I have enough pets.

Hi, could you all tell me if these chicks are D'Anvers? I'm not real familiar with the breed and I picked these bantams up at the feed store. I posted their earlier pics in the "What breed is my chicken" thread and some people said they might be OEGB or D'Anvers. I'm hoping you experts can give me a clue.

This is Chinchilla. Hoping it's a girl whatever it is though it still will live here even if it's a boy.

This is Wisp now at 3 and a half weeks. I posted some really early pics of her after these two older ones. Her comb has always been a fluorescent pink, even at a day old.

Much earlier Wisp.

Any help you could give me would be great!

I don't know about Wisp, but I would say Chinchilla is for sure a d'Anvers and a girl. In the quails you can tell the girls and boys apart by the feathering. Boys will have red shoulders, girls will have lacing on their backs. Here's a really young pic I have showing my blue quail girl on the left and my splash quail boy on the right.

---

I'm hoping for a miracle with my favourite chick, but I'm not holding my breath because it belted out a strangled crow while perching on my arm
barnie.gif
. I tried not to get attached before knowing their genders for sure, but I failed.

^ It even rolls over while sleeping on my lap! Life isn't fair
hmm.png

If it wasn't for that comb I'd feel more confident, because other than that it's developing exactly like my girl Sel did (and Sel will even belt out some crows). Complete with a huge mane of feathers coming in and poking out and scruffy angles.

Sel at this age:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom