Daphne Duck has stopped layin :(

pennyd

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 9, 2012
Hi there, am new to all this so please bear with me. I got 4 chickens and 1 duck (all female) from a friend, about 2 months ago. The day after I got them the duck laid an egg, and did every day up until about a month ago. There has been nothing since. She is a Khaki/Aylesbury cross, she seems in very good health and quite contented with herself. No sign of molting, or broodiness. Any other suggestions on what could be wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance
smile.png

Penny

900x900px-LL-ce5d1fdf_WelcometoBYC.gif
. Sometimes their bodies just need a break. Laying eggs takes a lot of energy away from them as well as nutrients.

Aw thanks for your reply. Any idea how long a rest she might need? Weeks, months? Many thanks again :)

Penny

Are you offering high calcium feed or oyster shell? They need a good mineral source to make all those shells.

Welcome to BYC, Penny
thumbsup.gif

There could be a number of reasons for this.
Change can make them stop laying. So, you got them two months ago (big change) but she continued to lay for the next month but nothing since. It could be due to the change in food (unless you are giving them the exact same brand and amount your friend did).
It could be a change in the temperature outside.
It could be that she just doesn't have any eggs to give right now (how old is she? Egg production reduces with age)
She could be lonely - yes I know you have the chickens, but is it possible she is missing duck interaction?

What was the reason your friend was giving them away?

I feed them on an ad lib feeder off roughly 50% layers pellets, 25% bruised barley and 25% corn. If you can suggest something else then I will certainly try it. Many thanks :)

I feed them on an ad lib feeder off roughly 50% layers pellets, 25% bruised barley and 25% corn. If you can suggest something else then I will certainly try it. Many thanks :)

Welcome to BYC, Penny
thumbsup.gif

There could be a number of reasons for this.
Change can make them stop laying. So, you got them two months ago (big change) but she continued to lay for the next month but nothing since. It could be due to the change in food (unless you are giving them the exact same brand and amount your friend did).
It could be a change in the temperature outside.
It could be that she just doesn't have any eggs to give right now (how old is she? Egg production reduces with age)
She could be lonely - yes I know you have the chickens, but is it possible she is missing duck interaction?

What was the reason your friend was giving them away?

She gave them away because she was having to work a lot of different shifts and was also struggling to find someone to look after them while she was on holiday. Am not sure what kind of food she was feeding them on. But its probably not a good idea to change it again now. The chickens are doing well on the same feed. She is about 18 months old now and seems to be a very happy, bright wee duck. Would it be worthwhile getting another duck to keep her company? Or would this upset things more now? Am very confused lol

Penny

Back
Top Bottom