Daphne is dead...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChaosTheory, Sep 1, 2009.

1. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Our beautiful and original little girl has died this morning, and I feel really bad. She has been known to fly our fence so she can walk around other areas of our backyard, everytime we see she's done this, we put her back in, no harm done. This morning, a fox beat us to it. I just want to cry. We now have one khaki campbell girl and four boys, and I just feel horrible about the whole thing, it could've been prevented if we'd just clipped her wings...

[​IMG]
    RIP you wanderer duck...

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    So Sorry for your Loss! R.I.P. Daphne.

People tend to think the ability to fly will protect a bird from preditors. A really sly one catches them by surprise and it is over before they even think to flap their wings.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    So sorry for your loss-she was really pretty.

4. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I am so sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is to lose a pet duck. My she rest in peace.

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm sorry for your loss but don't beat yourself up. I've clipped wings on about everyone and they still get wherever they want to be including on the other side of a 6 ft. chain link fence.

6. ChaosTheory

Feb 25, 2009
    Thank you everyone [​IMG] It could have been prevented and I won't let myself forget about this.

7. Beed

Beed Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2008
    Ft. Pierce, Florida
    So very sorry. She was a beautiful girl. Like the others said don't feel guilty. I think a short quality life of being happy is better than a long unhappy life. She liked to be free and wander around. With me it is always such a tough decision to clip wings. Again, I am so sorry.

8. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

[​IMG]

9. I'm so sorry! [​IMG]
    Daphne was such a beautiful girl. It's very unusual for Khaki Campbells to fly, but she was an odd duck!
    I think you need to change your male female ratio pretty soon before the male hormones kick in and your female gets overbred!

10. ChaosTheory

Feb 25, 2009
    Thanks [​IMG] She was pretty odd <3, flew pretty high in short distances, but only when she wanted to get out. We're looking into getting some more females right away, not neccesarily campbells, just to even things out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by