Dark Brahma Chick?

Nikki816

Songster
11 Years
Mar 20, 2012
circleville, OH
We got our dark Brahma pullets in the mail this morning and they sent us and extra chick that looks different from the rest (center of pic). this is our 1st time with the breed so I don't know if this is normal color varience, or a rooster or another breed. it is a lot darker with out some of the markings the other chicks have. it has the feathered feet, but darker legs and beak
Any help???

Chicks can vary in color. (when I bought a batch of 6 Leghorns one looked so different I was wondering if it was a different variety) that is a Dark Brahma chick.
thumbsup.gif

She's getting her wing feathers in now and she's definatly a dark brahma pullet
smile.png
She is getting some very pretty lacing on her wings and I think she's be one of the 6 we keep for ourselves.

Are the dark Brahma's slow to feather? The reason I ask, is I got a a mystery chick from McMurray's, and have been trying to guess what kind it could be... I suspected the dark brahma because it was the only feather footed breed the even romotely looked like my chick. My chicks are three weeks old now and the SLW pullets are all pretty well feathered, a sis a red roo that I got. The mystery chick is still really fluffy fuzzy, and seem sto just hav ewing feathers and a very very short tail, and still looks like a chipmunk. sure is cute though.

mine are 8 days old now and they have wing feathers and are starting to get butt and shoulder feathers, but they are all pullets. it could be a rooster, i think they are slower to feather, but if it's not a brahma it could be a cochin, they have feathered feet too.

I will have to get a picture of it. It is funny looking. kind of grey/brown fuzz all over except the wings. they are black and white spotted kind of like my baby SLW pullets, but the spots are smaller

I still haven't managed to get a photo of my "mystery" chick.... but IT still isn't getting very many feathers and my SLW are pretty much feathered out. It's head looks like my SLW- black and white, it's back is still fluffy with some bare spots on it's "shoulder blades" very short tail feathers, wings have some dark brown and black markings and has greyish brown feathered feet. It looks like it will have a pea comb, and that is flat with very little pink. Ugliest chicken I have ever seen. No wonder it was free... and it sure is a mystery to me! Friendly though.... any thoughts?

I still haven't managed to get a photo of my "mystery" chick.... but IT still isn't getting very many feathers and my SLW are pretty much feathered out. It's head looks like my SLW- black and white, it's back is still fluffy with some bare spots on it's "shoulder blades" very short tail feathers, wings have some dark brown and black markings and has greyish brown feathered feet. It looks like it will have a pea comb, and that is flat with very little pink. Ugliest chicken I have ever seen. No wonder it was free... and it sure is a mystery to me! Friendly though.... any thoughts?
It very well could be a Large Brahma. There are the smaller sizes ones and the Giant brahma. From experience, our regular sized light Brahma & my other "light brahma" were bought on the same day. The store sold us 2 small FEMALE light Brahma chicks.. we ended up with 1 white. And 1 Giant Buff Brahma Rooster. WAY off track from what we thought we got, but we couldn't be happier bc hes amazing! Sorry I got a little off track there, my point that I was attempting to get to LOL was that we got them both on the same day White one is fully feathered feet and all. And the giant buff Roo is still half naked stuck in that awkward looking teenage stage😆😆

Back
Top Bottom