Dark Brahma making strange sound and coughing.

desilvam

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
Starry, our favorite pet chicken is coughing and making a strange honking sound for the last 2-3 days..
sad.png

I have started giving her Vita RX since yesterday. Anything else I should do?
15 second video of her making that strange sound is attached below.

0.jpg

Last edited:
She might possibly have infectious bronchitis which is a contagious virus. There are other respiratory diseases, both bacterial and viral that it also could be. Watch her for further symptoms such as facial or eye swelling, nasal or eye drainage, or eye bubbles. If no further symptoms develop except nasal drainage, I.B. may be the cause. Here is a link to the more common respiratory diseases--mycoplasma G., coryza, and I.B.: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thanks for the reply. She is still making these honking noises today.
Yesterday, when I gave her Vita RX, she would stop making these noises for ~3 hrs. Today Vita RX seems to have less of an effect.
She has no nasal or eye drainage etc.. yet.

I'm not familiar with that product. I would start an antibiotic such as Tylan 50 1 ml by mouth daily for 5-7 days. You can also give this by injection instead for 3 days. Other antibiotics are Erythromycin, spectinomycin, lincomycin, and oxytetracyclin. She may have a virus that would not respond to antiotic, but they could prevent a secondary bacterial infection such as pneumonia.

She is still sneezing and honking after a week
sad.png
. Some days are better. Today is really bad.
She has been on Amoxicillin.

Did she ever develop any more symptoms such as facial swelling, etc? If it is IB, it can last a month and they can sneeze and have trouble at night especially. Has anyone else got symptoms or sneezing? IB is hard to contain since it is an airborne virus--usually 100 % will get it eventually, but they will mostly recover. Sometimes if your chicken has had any vaccines for certain diseases, they can get MG and have a real slight case of it. If she has more symptoms, and you don't think it is IB, you can switch to another antibiotic. Tylan 50 is only $12 for a vial.

She has not developed any other symptoms. She seems normal in every aspect now except for the honking. She sometimes has a bout for about 30 minutes during the day. sometimes it is 5-10 minutes.

After 8 days of Amoxicillin, I took her to a Vet. Vet diagnosed it as pneumonia in the right lung. She has her on doxycycline 100 mg tablets. One a day for 14 days. Hopefully, the honking stops by then.

My other 2 pet chickens have not got ill yet.

Back
Top Bottom