Dark Brahma?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by G-Money1572, Jun 30, 2016.

1. G-Money1572

G-Money1572 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2016
    This was my McMurray mystery chick. Based on the feathered feet breeds they have available I'm feeling like I've got a dark brahma. But I'm curious if anyone can confirm that?

Is there any way to tell at this age what sex it might be? There is no hint of a comb on its head at all yet.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. FFFAviaries

FFFAviaries Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2016
    Right now, it looks more like it is a Dark Brahma crossed to an Easter Egger. The head coloring looks predominantly EE to me. The wing coloring could be an EE color as well, but I do see the feathers on the feet. My best guess is this is an EE and is just one of their many crosses (Brahma x EE) to create the Easter Eggers.

Sex is a little hard to tell. You will have to wait a little bit longer and updated photos as it grows.

3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    That is a dark brahma. You will have to wait till it feathers in for the gender. The females have penciled breasts, and the males will come in with blotchy black chests.

4. G-Money1572

G-Money1572 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2016
    Interesting. I hadn't considered the fact that they might have a cross. Fingers crossed it is actually a dark brahma. I only raise Cornish X, and aren't set up sir layers so I am going to need to give this one away. It seems like I can get takers on that if it's a brahma, not sure on the EE.

Here's a few more pics. There are a few breast feathers coming in, and they seem to be pretty similar to the wings. It will be interesting seeing what if grows into.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Agree it's a dark Brahma.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture