Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

Is this a Dark Brahma? She's 1-2 years old, and I believe she's molting.
Not great pics I know, sorry...it's HARD to take a good pic of a chicken, they don't stand still :)

I'm new to chicken ownership, but have done a lot of reading, research and chicken sitting, this is my first flock.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Is she gold or white/silver and black, she looks gold in the pictures on my computer? The dark brahmas usually have a lot more white towards their heads where she has black feathers.

It has a Brahma's feather pattern, a Brahma's feathered legs and a pea comb, but it does not have a Dark Brahma's earlobe or head color. Interesting.

Probably. Hatchery quality, so not really up to the breed standard, but that's common with hatchery birds.

I love the dark Brahmas, that penciling is just so pretty!

Thanks for the feedback.
I love my mixed up bunch of mutts! She did come from a hatchery.
I think around the edge of the feather it looks silver but the chevron shaped markings on the feather look more goldish.
Will be interesting to see what she looks like in a few months, as I think she is molting.

Yes, she's a pretty Dark Brahma! Hatchery birds don't always conform completely to what a show-quality, purebred, perfect bird would be. This is why she doesn't look quite like the Brahamas that you see. But, all of her characteristics make me think that she is a Dark Brahma.

Back
Top Bottom