Dark Cornish-White Rock cross?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by frenchblackcopper, Apr 24, 2014.

1. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    Seems about the only three people on the continental USA that owns White Cornish large fowl doesn't want to part with any. Aside from importing any and jumping thru USDA hoops and dodging other importers who intentionally ruin your chances of getting your imports passed thru quarantine, has anyone here used a dark cornish on white rocks? Years ago we had both whites and dark cornish and both was similar in size. Has the whites now become larger,or just used to produce an all white x-bred when going with the white rock?

2. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I know that poultry processers prefer white birds because they dress out prettier and faster without the dark pin feathers. i don't know for a fact whether this is why Dark Cornish aren't used in commercial crosses but it would make sense.

3. 5 Acre Rooster

5 Acre Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    North Missouri
    Isn't almost all white plumage dominate color. SO even if the cross was Breed x Breed, breed x Breed As long as 1 of the parents are white a good chance that white will be dominate coloring. Double chances if both parent birds are white. So even with a dark Cornish in the mix, even if 2/4 grandparent birds are dark, white SHOULD still be dominate and give you a white feathered bird.

4. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    No idea, you may be right.

5. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    This is what I thought but being more into Peafowl genetics wasn't sure. With Peacocks Blue is always dominate. I'm not afraid of black pin feathers cause I have a buddy that made a great homemade plucker.30 seconds of bouncing around inside of it and you might need to spend 5 minutes checking for straggler pin feathers.Next is to find Heritage Dark Cornish as well as Heritage White rocks for foundation birds.

6. ftpagain

ftpagain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    we are planning on crossing dark cornish and white rock for meat. can you share your findings? did you find the birds you were looking for? did you like the results?

7. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    I've just now found someone willing to ship me some eggs and they are pure white large fowl cornish from one of the older breeders that raised and showed them many years ago. It won't be until next spring now until any would be old enough to breed with but the search was worth it.

8. JRNash

JRNash Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    I'd be interested in this also. I looked everywhere for LF white cornish. Ended up ordering dark cornish from macmurray.

9. Hiltonizer

Hiltonizer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Central Maine
    I ordered 3 White Laced Red Cornish roo's this year along with my White Rock pullets, that's going to be a breeding experiment once they mature to see if they're serviceable. I swear I turned the internet upside down trying to find someone else that has done it and shared the results.

2 people like this.
  10. JRNash

JRNash Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    My white rocks,white giants and dark Cornish will be here Wednesday. I wish i could have found LF white cornish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by