Dark Eggs

Justadoz3nshort

Chirping
May 28, 2023
Rhode Island, US
I have an olive egg that is just a beast to candle. I really can't see anything going on inside. With eggs like this do you keep them in the incubator for the entire 21 days and hope for the best or will it become rancid?

I have some Marans who lay dark spotted eggs. They are very thick shelled also. I do not even try to candle them anymore. Can't see anything. I just give them a sniff every so often.

And to sound dumb...they will smell like bad eggs?
No dumb questions! That's how we learn!

So far I've not had an egg get bad enough to smell it in the incubator. I have had a couple that smelled bad when I cracked the non-hatchers. :sick

Now all non-hatchers are cracked in a ziploc bag outside! :D

When I check eggs during incubation I sniff and look for leaking. Bad egg smell is something hard to miss. Leaking could put other eggs at risk of bacterial contamination. I don't pull eggs out until I am sure they are bad. Questionable ones are rechecked in a day or two. I'd hate to pull a developing chick.

In an all dark room this is what I can see...nothing 😂 it's day 5. Thank you for your explanation!
20230604_080713.jpg

No dumb questions! That's how we learn!

So far I've not had an egg get bad enough to smell it in the incubator. I have had a couple that smelled bad when I cracked the non-hatchers. :sick

Now all non-hatchers are cracked in a ziploc bag outside! :D

When I check eggs during incubation I sniff and look for leaking. Bad egg smell is something hard to miss. Leaking could put other eggs at risk of bacterial contamination. I don't pull eggs out until I am sure they are bad. Questionable ones are rechecked in a day or two. I'd hate to pull a developing chick.

In an all dark room this is what I can see...nothing 😂 it's day 5. Thank you for your explanation!
View attachment 3528429
I've found wrapping my hand around the egg and then putting my hand over the light makes it a tad a easier to see into. Not by much. Picture is one of my darker brown eggs. Olive eggs however? Nope. Can't see into them even if I were to harness the sun's light. They put up sun shades when they start developing.

Attachments

• 20231024_185057.jpg
    20231024_185057.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom