Dark fabric for windows

Beaker99

hillbilly extraordinaire
Mar 31, 2022
Missouri Ozarks
My EEs are waking up at 530 and not quiet about it. I'm in town so I would like to curb this behavior, if possible.
Would dark fabric over the hardcloth windows help? Is there anything breathable enough?

My EEs are waking up at 530 and not quiet about it. I'm in town so I would like to curb this behavior, if possible.
Would dark fabric over the hardcloth windows help? Is there anything breathable enough?
If you let them out of the coop do they quiet down? Can you post pictures of your setup?

We just hung a blanket on the front of the coop (big, south facing windows), but didn't block off the vents that were on the north and west side. Also, if you hang the cloth, don't secure it to the sides of the windows/doors, just let it hang. Maybe you want a thicker fabric so that it is weighs down, or weigh it down with a stick or something. If you use a thinner fabric to try to still get ventilation I don't think it will work.

Actually it still may not work. Mine were crowing at 3 am this morning. We don't have anything up right now to block the light, but there wasn't any light. Maybe they just know it is almost solstice.

If you let them out of the coop do they quiet down? Can you post pictures of your setup?
They do get a bit quieter after being let out. I need to invest in an automatic door, but my spouse isn't keen on investing more into these guys right now.
We just hung a blanket on the front of the coop (big, south facing windows), but didn't block off the vents that were on the north and west side. Also, if you hang the cloth, don't secure it to the sides of the windows/doors, just let it hang. Maybe you want a thicker fabric so that it is weighs down, or weigh it down with a stick or something. If you use a thinner fabric to try to still get ventilation I don't think it will work.

Actually it still may not work. Mine were crowing at 3 am this morning. We don't have anything up right now to block the light, but there wasn't any light. Maybe they just know it is almost solstice.
I don't have a rooster, just a pain in the butt hen. I wish I only had the BCMs. Quiet birds.
Do you think a tent over the coop would help? It's about time to set it up for summer anyway. They didn't do this to me last year. I'm annoyed.

They do get a bit quieter after being let out. I need to invest in an automatic door, but my spouse isn't keen on investing more into these guys right now.
Really not trying to be rude but you could just get up and let them out. Just go back to bed when you're done!
I'm unaccustomed to this because I'm up at 5:00 to 5:30 everyday and the birds are usually not off the roof for very long before I release them to their pen. But I also have a very large attached run and they just go right out in the morning. I have never been woken up by my chickens.

Really not trying to be rude but you could just get up and let them out. Just go back to bed when you're done!
I'm unaccustomed to this because I'm up at 5:00 to 5:30 everyday and the birds are usually not off the roof for very long before I release them to their pen. But I also have a very large attached run and they just go right out in the morning. I have never been woken up by my chickens.
I do get up and let them out but I am unable to go back to sleep. I'm more worried about the noise with my neighbors.

I don't like to let them out unless someone is downstairs in the house, in case a hawk jumps on one of them while we are in bed. We have prevented or minimized almost 10 hawk attacks just by seeing them out the window.

We built a large attached run that they have 24/7 access to, and this helped to make them not feel stuck in the coop and want to squawk about that, but I swear some chickens just like the sound of their own voice.

You can try using weed barrier fabric. It breathes very nice. I use it for many things like filtering things. Use it for vents in my rainwater collection. keeps the creepy crawlies out but lets air flow. Downside is that it does not like to be in the direct sun. It tends to get brittle after a while, I change the vent fabric Weed barrier. Around every 9 months. Upside to that is that you get a lot in a roll and is very cheap. Made a temp window frame for you to consider. If not dark enough double it up.

20230601_151627.jpg 20230601_151645.jpg 20230601_151719.jpg

Used as vent.

20230601_152406.jpg

other brand

20230601_152136.jpg
20230601_152143.jpg
20230601_152202.jpg

One last thing you might consider. A microwave door screen. Of course this may not be always feasible but if you have an old one laying around... They are tough and basically are already framed. Can be made to open and close, run by remote control by using a linear actuator.

Last edited:
I need to invest in an automatic door, but my spouse isn't keen on investing more into these guys right now.
by any chance do you have an old power wheels child's motorized car. Or maybe someone who has kids, that don't use it anymore. I recently made one that didn't take long and aside from a few parts, $30 on the high side and scrap wood laying around and whatever control device you want to use. This one is WiFi and remote controlled. Video below. If not let me know what you have laying around and maybe I can help you out.

Not ready to be published but just to give you an idea. Will be deleting after I get the a better one uploaded.

First run through

Alternate mounting. like this one better. Was the original thought but for some reason I was thinking it be too hard for people to install and maintained, due to the bar going through the 2x4s. Then I remembered that I was going to do it like closet clothes hanger rods. Was a bit annoyed at myself for forgetting.

Back
Top Bottom