Dark Grey Egg from Indian Runner duck?

slimpys

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
Hi everyone,

I have 3 indian runner ducks that just started laying within the last week. The first eggs were white and then we got one with a green tint. Well, yesterday we got a dark grey and this morning there was another one, but lighter in color. While the picture below doesn't show the colors that great, it does show how dark the one is compared to the white and green-tinted one.

Is this normal? Also, the ducks are laying at night and just randomly on the ground. Is that when they typically lay? We have a bunch of chickens that all lay during the day, so these night eggs threw me off.

Thanks for your help!

--Tracy

Is one of your runners black? It's not unusual for the extended black gene to cause ducks a to deposit a black pigment onto egg shells. For instance, Black Cayuga's lay black eggs.

Thanks! I do have 1 black runner. Glad to know it's normal, because that was one odd looking egg!

Hi everyone, I have 3 indian runner ducks that just started laying within the last week. The first eggs were white and then we got one with a green tint. Well, yesterday we got a dark grey and this morning there was another one, but lighter in color. While the picture below doesn't show the colors that great, it does show how dark the one is compared to the white and green-tinted one. Is this normal? Also, the ducks are laying at night and just randomly on the ground. Is that when they typically lay? We have a bunch of chickens that all lay during the day, so these night eggs threw me off. Thanks for your help! --Tracy
i had the exact same thing happen from my 2 black ir ducks

Back
Top Bottom