Dark liquidy poop

Will do! I have vet appointment this afternoon. This vet is close-sees birds and has in house lab. Will let y’all know how it goes.
Will do! I have vet appointment this afternoon. This vet is close-sees birds and has in house lab. Will let y’all know how it goes.
Hi everyone-
Have an update in case this might help anyone in the future. I apologize ahead for the lengthy post.
Took both goslings to vet in case whatever what’s going on was contagious. They did have a respiratory problem as I thought they might. Thank goodness it wasn’t Canker since vet didn’t say anything.
Goosebaby- you were correct that it most likely wasn’t it. Gelato (the one with the walking issue) has a small respiratory infection which the head shaking was a sign to me that something was wrong. Sherbert it’s mate was just starting to show symptoms with the head shaking but his infection was just beginning. The vet said we could do x-rays to take a deeper look at the air sacs and surrounding area. She said his infection wasn’t life threatening so I chose against it. That round of diagnostics would’ve cost over$1000 and it just wasn’t possible for me. Vet said he probably got this infection from poor ventilation. I’m doubtful of this because they stay in a large room with a high ceiling. I clean and change their shavings everyday so I’m not sure how this happened. I think it could be a number of things. Weather change here has been odd. When warm I take them outside for fresh air and for the meet and greet with the flock. The only thing I can really think of would be maybe from their water bowl. It’s not big enough for them to get in but large enough to dunk their head. They make the most of that bowl of water! Gosh what a mess they make. I don’t have heat lamp on them anymore unless I feel they really really need it.
They took a feces sample to check for parasites due to his dark and runny poop. Haven’t got those results back but am deworming them both anyway.
Gelato was a pound lighter than Sherbert which apparently he wasn’t eating as much as he should but was not lethargic or acted in any way malnourished or out of the norm. The night of the liquid coming out of his mouth which is reason why I thought he might have Canker, the vet said he most likely had a little something stuck in his throat.
As for his hips/wide stance-vet says it’s a developmental problem. Probably from when he was a hatchling. It just wasn’t noticeable to me until a few weeks ago when I started trying to ‘fix’ it. I still think it’s a vitamin deficiency as well. She didn’t tell me what if anything could be done for it. I honestly forgot to ask. She didn’t seem concerned about it. The vet did say he’s bowlegged and has Bumblefoot on one foot. I was surprised to hear that because I couldn’t see anything abnormal but I think it’s underneath the ‘heel’ part.
I still want to make sure he will remain strong even with his messed up bones. Doesn’t matter if he’s not perfect. Just that he’s comfortable and otherwise healthy so he can have a happy life.
I got the antibiotics from the clinic to clear the infection.
I picked up some vit b complex and Safegard dewormer paste to worm them.
Hopefully things will start to clear up a bit for them.

Hi everyone-
Have an update in case this might help anyone in the future. I apologize ahead for the lengthy post.
Took both goslings to vet in case whatever what’s going on was contagious. They did have a respiratory problem as I thought they might. Thank goodness it wasn’t Canker since vet didn’t say anything.
Goosebaby- you were correct that it most likely wasn’t it. Gelato (the one with the walking issue) has a small respiratory infection which the head shaking was a sign to me that something was wrong. Sherbert it’s mate was just starting to show symptoms with the head shaking but his infection was just beginning. The vet said we could do x-rays to take a deeper look at the air sacs and surrounding area. She said his infection wasn’t life threatening so I chose against it. That round of diagnostics would’ve cost over$1000 and it just wasn’t possible for me. Vet said he probably got this infection from poor ventilation. I’m doubtful of this because they stay in a large room with a high ceiling. I clean and change their shavings everyday so I’m not sure how this happened. I think it could be a number of things. Weather change here has been odd. When warm I take them outside for fresh air and for the meet and greet with the flock. The only thing I can really think of would be maybe from their water bowl. It’s not big enough for them to get in but large enough to dunk their head. They make the most of that bowl of water! Gosh what a mess they make. I don’t have heat lamp on them anymore unless I feel they really really need it.
They took a feces sample to check for parasites due to his dark and runny poop. Haven’t got those results back but am deworming them both anyway.
Gelato was a pound lighter than Sherbert which apparently he wasn’t eating as much as he should but was not lethargic or acted in any way malnourished or out of the norm. The night of the liquid coming out of his mouth which is reason why I thought he might have Canker, the vet said he most likely had a little something stuck in his throat.
As for his hips/wide stance-vet says it’s a developmental problem. Probably from when he was a hatchling. It just wasn’t noticeable to me until a few weeks ago when I started trying to ‘fix’ it. I still think it’s a vitamin deficiency as well. She didn’t tell me what if anything could be done for it. I honestly forgot to ask. She didn’t seem concerned about it. The vet did say he’s bowlegged and has Bumblefoot on one foot. I was surprised to hear that because I couldn’t see anything abnormal but I think it’s underneath the ‘heel’ part.
I still want to make sure he will remain strong even with his messed up bones. Doesn’t matter if he’s not perfect. Just that he’s comfortable and otherwise healthy so he can have a happy life.
I got the antibiotics from the clinic to clear the infection.
I picked up some vit b complex and Safegard dewormer paste to worm them.
Hopefully things will start to clear up a bit for them.

Could you post a picture of the bottom of his feet? Bumblefoot usually is a noticeable sore or dark scab. It’s actually a staph infection, staph pretty much is everywhere and only becomes an issue of it enters a cut or scrape.

If it’s a developmental issue from a deficiency a broad spectrum vitamin mix like rooster booster poultry drench would probably be best.
If it’s from rickets he needs vitamin D3. Rooster booster poultry drench has it in it.
If it’s purely developmental there isn’t much you can do but manage the symptoms.

If the other gosling has caught the respiratory problem it does sound contagious, considering how good you are at cleaning their area I doubt stagnant airflow is an issue either unless there’s mold growing somewhere close.
Sounds like they picked up something “virus or bacteria” probably indirectly from another bird or some other source.

Could you post a picture of the bottom of his feet? Bumblefoot usually is a noticeable sore or dark scab. It’s actually a staph infection, staph pretty much is everywhere and only becomes an issue of it enters a cut or scrape.

If it’s a developmental issue from a deficiency a broad spectrum vitamin mix like rooster booster poultry drench would probably be best.
If it’s from rickets he needs vitamin D3. Rooster booster poultry drench has it in it.
If it’s purely developmental there isn’t much you can do but manage the symptoms.

If the other gosling has caught the respiratory problem it does sound contagious, considering how good you are at cleaning their area I doubt stagnant airflow is an issue either unless there’s mold growing somewhere close.
Sounds like they picked up something “virus or bacteria” probably indirectly from another bird or some other source.
989FF8DC-272A-48D9-8CD9-CBBA8322179A.jpeg 1BEF8920-0641-4B76-A8B5-304DF6F8ACC2.jpeg 8B33FCF2-FE5D-490B-963D-579B97F95D0F.jpeg
Don’t know if pics are good. I was holding bird while trying to get a photo lol. She said the Bumblefoot was on the left foot which is the bottom picture I believe. I don’t see anything out of the ordinary. His foot is smoothe and soft. Didn’t notice any swelling or sores and scabs. Maybe someone else does?I took picture of both feet just so everyone can see.
The Rooster Booster would be better than the vitamin b complex?
The vet didn’t say anything about Rickets either.
Don’t know where there would be any mold. Maybe dust? Can get dusty from their preening and flapping. And they were never too close to my flock-would be at least a 10 foot gap between them. I suppose that doesn’t really matter. I don’t notice any of the others appearing to be Ill but that doesn’t mean anything. I suppose a wild bird is possible.

Attachments

• 54176061-9F27-456D-97C5-26E015C7C88A.jpeg
    54176061-9F27-456D-97C5-26E015C7C88A.jpeg
    518.8 KB · Views: 3
View attachment 3444023View attachment 3444024View attachment 3444025
Don’t know if pics are good. I was holding bird while trying to get a photo lol. She said the Bumblefoot was on the left foot which is the bottom picture I believe. I don’t see anything out of the ordinary. His foot is smoothe and soft. Didn’t notice any swelling or sores and scabs. Maybe someone else does?I took picture of both feet just so everyone can see.
The Rooster Booster would be better than the vitamin b complex?
The vet didn’t say anything about Rickets either.
Don’t know where there would be any mold. Maybe dust? Can get dusty from their preening and flapping. And they were never too close to my flock-would be at least a 10 foot gap between them. I suppose that doesn’t really matter. I don’t notice any of the others appearing to be Ill but that doesn’t mean anything. I suppose a wild bird is possible.
I don’t see anything either. Maybe she was looking at the bottom of the joint but that’s not a scab, just the joint.

Vitamin B complex is great but it only has B vitamins. Rooster booster poultry cell is also a good thing to have around because it has all the other vitamins.

I don’t see anything either. Maybe she was looking at the bottom of the joint but that’s not a scab, just the joint.

Vitamin B complex is great but it only has B vitamins. Rooster booster poultry cell is also a good thing to have around because it has all the other vitamins.
I don’t know what she was looking at either. She didn’t point it out to me just voiced it. I will pick up some Rooster Booster. Didn’t realize that was good for the geese and ducks too.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom