1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dark Orange yolks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Julie_A, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Watching Jamie Oliver cook. He's commenting about how dark the yolks are. Is there something different I should be feeding my chickens for dark yolks? Is it a breed thing?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Dark yolks are caused from beta carotene. So feed your chickens food high in beta carotene and the yolks will turn orange. Cantaloupe, spinach, swiss chard are all high in beta carotene.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Whoops, sorry double post.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2009
  4. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Apparently corn is a good feed for getting dark yolks as well.

I wonder if I fed my hens chopped up beets they would get red yolks..[​IMG]

I know they sure turn my system red for a few days, if you know what I mean..[​IMG]

5. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Corn will turn them more yellow not the orange that is refered too. All your dark green leaf veggis are great for this also many weeds. Mine are eating common plantain and dandylions that grow wild here as well as clovers. If you want to grow feed for them try kale, spinach, collards ect. Many just pick weeds out of gardens and grass as long as it is not sprayed with chemicals and feed them to the chickens.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, the beta carotene and not the corn to get the deep orange yolks.

7. Hippie Chickie

Hippie Chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Port Orchard
    Quote:Nope, it just turns their system red for a day... If you know what I mean. Just remeber that you fed them the blasted things the day before or you'll be posting up on here in the emergency section.
    Did I do this?? No... never...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  8. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

I am pretty sure that the darker yolks come from a varied diet of greens, bugs and layer mash.
    I do notice that whenever we keep the ladies penned up and don't let them free range in the afternoons the yolks are lighter in color for a few days and when the ladies are let out to range, the yolks turn darker.
    My guess would be the insects and greens that help make darker yolks but that's just a guess.

9. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Greens make dark yolks.

10. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    Quote:YUP - I feed mine weeds in addition to their layer pellets and scratch, and we have nice orange-yellow yolks, VERY different from the store-bought eggs!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by