1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dark spot in egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jay262, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    I have one egg with a dark spot around the middle of the egg it did have some defined veining orginally im on day 9 right now i candled it this morning and i cant really see the veins now does this mean it died?

2. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
  3. Jay262

Apr 21, 2009
    That did help alot for future candling im still not sure about the egg though i guess i will be able to tell forsure in another few days anyhow. It seemed to be doing fine im not quite sure right now another few days will tell if there is no more development i guess.

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    If it is a dark ring, it is dead. [​IMG]

5. Jay262

Apr 21, 2009
    Just a dark spot floating in the middle of the egg looks like a embryo but no veins to be seen im assuming at this point its bad i will give it another few days.

6. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    Quote:I dont know, cause some of mine are Dark Black Riings, and others Are Bright Red rings, so I dont have a clue, wish I could help ya.

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:It could well be dead, but that doesn't mean it'll automatically go bad.
    You could probably leave it in right up till day 18 if you're not sure about it.

8. curious1969

curious1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    Quote:I have had this happen too, just a little dark spot bobbing around! There is not always a blood ring with deceased emryos so I would definitely give it a couple days to make sure. I have had eggs over the years that I was convinced had passed on and then they hatch (normally later in incubation though). Good luck on your hatch [​IMG]

9. hannahhammonds

hannahhammonds Just Hatched

Nov 13, 2016
    What if there is veins on one side. But not the other

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by