Dark spots on combs, itchy

Kacey's Krazee's

Songster
Aug 8, 2009
Normangee, Texas
I have just found black spots on the combs of the rooster, and he is shaking his head as if it itches him. I have also noticed that some of the combs on the pullets look as if they have been picked, and had dried blood on them. Closer look shows that that it look like the area has died. It's black and crusty. I have been out there tonight, and tried to get a better look at what is happening on them. I was able to scratch off one of the spots on the roosters' comb, but couldn't find it once it fell off his comb. It didn't look like it had anything moving on it, like a possible bug. I checked on some of the girls vents, and necks and under the wings, and haven't seen any signs of lice or mites. When I first noticed it on the roo, he was shaking his head, and the spots were quite apparent. I wasn't able to get out there that night to check, but the next morning, today, I noticed his comb was dark, all over the back of it, but today, it seems to brighten back up.
I'm unsure what it may be, or how to treat it. I know they are uncomfortable. We have been in a severe drought throughout the entire summer, and have been visited by wild birds more than normal, drinking water, and cleaning up the scratch the girls leave behind. I have used both DE and Sevin dust, but have been out, and haven't treated lately.

Anybody have any ideas? What is it? How to fix it?

Thanks for you help !

61761_side_one.jpg

Here is a picture of one of mine when she started getting her spots from fowl pox. She even had a spot on her foot but I never noticed any other symptoms.
61761_foot.jpg

sharon

Thank you for your replys. That is what it looks like. I will check on their feet this morning. I didn't think to look last night. I will check further,
and research further on what I can do, if anything to help stop the spread. I would also like to stop their itchy feeling.

Thank you for your help!

Kacey

Back
Top Bottom