Dark spots on my hens comb

Jordannoe70

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2019
Campobello, SC
Hi! This is my first post. I've noticed spots on my hens comb. She also started having trouble walking a couple weeks ago which, may or may not be related. She will keep up with the flock and then rest on her hocks.
Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm a new chicken momma!
IMG_20190826_175040.jpg

I would say that is dry fowl pox. There is no treatment for it, you just have to let it run its course. It is transmitted by mosquitos so any stagnant water you could get rid of would help your other hens from getting it. It is almost always non fatal especially in small cases like yours. I'm on mobile so I can't link it but there is an article on BYC all about it if you want to learn more. Good luck!

It's dry pox on the comb...leave it alone and it will go away in a month or so.
It should't cause lethargy tho, something else going on there.

How old is she?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
What do her poops look like?
When I have a bird that is acting 'off'....
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Jordannoe70
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-8-29_7-58-9.png

Thank you for the welcome and advice. I will add my info.
I'm in the Greenville, SC area.
I'm not sure I would say she is lethargic. She keeps up with the flock all day. She will even run quite a bit. She will spurt through the yard and plop on her hocks. When others are pecking around she will peck from her hocks. I suppose that could be lethargic. I was wondering if she had injury or deformation... Novice me...
I feed them Purina layer feed for their grain. They free range all day in and out of a wooded area. I also give them treats. Fresh fruit& veggies mostly and an occasional handful of raisins or scratch. (Dumor)
Her poop is mostly normal. One time I caught a dropping that looked like this (photo added). I'm sure, however, it's varied,
IMG_20190712_154111.jpg

as she is not isolated from the others and they are all over our 1.5 acres.
She is larger than some of our others. So, she appears to be growing normally. They were all purchased together in April.
Her crop is ok, but I didn't think to check her abdomen under her vent. I will do that tonight!

Back
Top Bottom