Darkened comb on Roosters only in morning

TC Schmidt

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2023
I have Cockerels/Roosters that have a darkened comb. When I go to feed in the mornings there are three with larger combs that are a little dark. One (the oldest by a month or two) has been having this issue for a few weeks or so and the other two I noticed for the first time this morning. There is a fourth that I haven't noticed but his comb is a bit smaller. By the time I check and drop off some ice in the afternoon they're better. My only thought is that there is some build up of feed in the crop and they need more grit. I give them a 3 Quart feed scoop almost full with about a 1/2 to 3/4 cup of calcium grit for the hens and 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of granite grit for the roosters to choose from if they want.

Last edited:
I had the same concern. It is most likely due to lower morning temperatures, reducing blood flow. Remember, the comb is their cooling system. As the day heats up, more blood flow means redder comb. Back part of my guys comb is dark in the morning. By noon on a hot day he looks like he's wearing a fire truck for a hat.

I don't know if that's what it is because its still 79 degrees at the coolest here in South TX My thought is also maybe the way they're sleeping but that doesn't sit well with me as an answer.
I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one though. I've scoured the internet and asked the poultry Vet here. Neither seem to really have an answer.
I had the same concern. It is most likely due to lower morning temperatures, reducing blood flow. Remember, the comb is their cooling system. As the day heats up, more blood flow means redder comb. Back part of my guys comb is dark in the morning. By noon on a hot day he looks like he's wearing a fire truck for a hat.

Color variations can be hormonal also. It can vary at times of the day, during excitement or stress, or seasonally it may happen more or less as hormones fluctuate. If it comes and goes, and everyone is acting normally otherwise, then it's probably not something you need to worry about. Cockerels in particular have surging hormones as they mature. If a bird were sick, lethargic, etc, and had a darkened comb it could mean not enough oxygen to the blood, but it often happens in passing in healthy birds for some of the reasons I listed.

Back
Top Bottom