Darkening comb, lethargic, no eating or drinking

mbodamer

Chirping
Apr 27, 2018
Lehigh Valley PA
Hi I have a 3 year old Cinnamon Queen hen in with 9 others all same age all same accommodations, food, water, etc. They have an outdoor run that is dirt, and indoor/outdoor run that is dirt on top of cement, and the coop itself has fine wood shavings bedding. This morning I went to feed and I always count them and one was missing. She was inside the coop laying down looked like sleeping. I nudged her and she opened her eyes but didn't move which was not normal. I picked her up and brought her out and see her comb is dark and flopped over. She feels about normal weight. Her most recent poop must have been runny because there is some stuck on her butt. They all get organic egglayer feed from tractor supply and I sprinkle it with DE and they get organic scratch grains tossed out in the yard. They have access to grit. I don't have any vet nearby that will see her. The other hens that I have are a mix of bard rock, cinnamon queen and easter eggers. There are no signs of injury on this one. No other hens show any sign of issue, however a month ago one cinnamon queen dropped dead unexpectedly. No sign of injury, mites, or disease, looked completely normal. Can I save her?

Attachments

• 20210510_062904.jpg
    20210510_062904.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210510_062915.jpg
    20210510_062915.jpg
    586 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
My hen passed away shortly after this post. I rushed her to the vet and they first thought upper respiratory infection, they said she had mucus in her nose. They put her in an O2 chamber and her comb got red and started to perk up so they were hopeful that is what it was and gave her a shot of antibiotics. After 2 hours in the O2 chamber she was still showing signs of improvement, but by the 3rd hour she suddenly passed. They are not sure of the cause so I am having a necropsy performed to ensure whatever it was will not affect the rest of my flock. I will post when I know the details in case the symptoms are applicable to someone else.

My hen passed away shortly after this post. I rushed her to the vet and they first thought upper respiratory infection, they said she had mucus in her nose. They put her in an O2 chamber and her comb got red and started to perk up so they were hopeful that is what it was and gave her a shot of antibiotics. After 2 hours in the O2 chamber she was still showing signs of improvement, but by the 3rd hour she suddenly passed. They are not sure of the cause so I am having a necropsy performed to ensure whatever it was will not affect the rest of my flock. I will post when I know the details in case the symptoms are applicable to someone else.
Thank you. Please inform the results of necropsy.

Back
Top Bottom