Darker Eggs, Better Nutrients?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Happycowdog, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Happycowdog

Happycowdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    I love, love those dark brown eggs that come from the Welsummer. Spotted ones are cool too. I was going to get a couple of Welsummer hens this spring. Are the darker colored eggs higher in any nutrients than those of lighter colors?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I wish I knew the answer to that question.

I have 4 FBCM hens and 3 GCM hens. I get two DARK eggs and 5 spotted eggs and they all get the same feed so it has to be genetics.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The color of the pigmentation on the shell's exterior doesn't affect the part of the egg you eat normally.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:What silkiechicken said.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/whatstuff/84/8434egg.html

"The
    colors of eggs come from pigments that are secreted by the hen and deposited on the eggshell's outer layers during formation in the chicken's oviduct, the canal that eggs travel through from the ovaries to the outside world. Egg color is a genetic trait, so colors vary from breed to breed. Brown eggshells contain the pigment protoporphyrin, a breakdown product of hemoglobin. Found only on the shell's surface, the brown pigment can be dissolved by vinegar or rubbed off with sandpaper. Blue and green hues are caused by the pigment oocyanin, a by-product of bile formation. White eggshells are devoid of these pigments."

So unless the break down products of hemoglobin or oocyanin are going to be good for you in some way, provided you eat the shell, the insides are all the same.

6. Happycowdog

Happycowdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    Gotcha! Thank you for that! I am brand new at this and I love this website! Thanks for the link! Still gonna get those chickens! Love that color!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by