Darkling Beetles Splitting?

Demosthine

Songster
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I started my mealworm colony about a month ago and have about a dozen beetles (that I can see). I noticed yesterday that one of them is split along the entire length of the back. Is this normal and why did it do that? I haven't read anything about them splitting like this.

It's not split. You're seeing the elytra (hard wing covers). Each elytron covers one wing on one side of the body. They sometimes spread apart shortly after pupating. It's all completely normal.

My beetles appear to be struggling. I'm new at this. I find them on their backs with their legs waving around and a few have died. Is the substrate too fine? I put in some whole wheat flour mixed with non-medicated chicken crumbles and oatmeal

My beetles appear to be struggling. I'm new at this. I find them on their backs with their legs waving around and a few have died. Is the substrate too fine? I put in some whole wheat flour mixed with non-medicated chicken crumbles and oatmeal

Do you have a picture of your setup?

I have had problem with a recent batch of darkling beetles wing covers not developing? so far they are mostly all alive, the only thing I did differently is instead of the bedding rolled oats I used whole oats, anyone have a similar issue or any ideas?

I have had problem with a recent batch of darkling beetles wing covers not developing? so far they are mostly all alive, the only thing I did differently is instead of the bedding rolled oats I used whole oats, anyone have a similar issue or any ideas?

What are you feeding them?

They need fruit/vegetable/etc. for moisture and nutrition. If you don't feed them for a long time, they will cannibalize each other and their young won't develop properly.

Thanks HeritageGoose13, that's it exactly. I have never had that problem because twice a day I check pupa container for beetles and transfer, but I think this happened with a bunch when I left for 24hrs. I had been separating out pupa and putting no food or moisture in that container and have had zero issues until this. This site is great!

I started my mealworm colony about a month ago and have about a dozen beetles (that I can see). I noticed yesterday that one of them is split along the entire length of the back. Is this normal and why did it do that? I haven't read anything about them splitting like this.

That's not normal the darkling beetles from any mealworm stage should look normal and long gated for future breading and that is a defent defect you Don’t want those same genes passed down I've learned that over the years any time I get a damaged set of wings in my colony they go bye-bye even if it's a soapy grave or if I can't bring my self to do it I have my hubby handle it I hate destroying anything I put a lot of love a care into my beetle harvesting... I will say this you can do old fashion oat meal but you need to be careful if you are buying fresh oats they can have mites in it and if you are not paying attention then it will kill and damage your Mealworms and beetle colony off so if you have a Winco then you know in the back where they have the pillars of candy and other items you can get your oats from there and your wheat bran that would be the safest bet but from now on anytime you get deformed wings that is not good for any mating with other beetles I saw how old this was I hope you realized that having a deformed beetles are a no go.

Back
Top Bottom