Darn bears

darlin_dar

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 27, 2009
vancouver island
Sooo...I have chickens, 55 to be exact, road island reds and sexlinks,and three rooster, opps plus two 2month old and 12 eggs in the bator.
I work for a soup kitchen in my town, I run the thrift store that is attached to it and so I get to bring home a lot of goodies for my hens..
We have a ford explorer which is being worked on and for the time being my husband started to store some of the excess food in it.
Got up one morning to discover that the neighborhood bear had figured out how to open the hatch. grrrrr.
So locked the hatch but the next morning realised he now knows how to open the truck door.. One whole bag of feed all over the yard and one bad of scratch..I had some pretty happy chickens, let me tell ya .
So we locked the truck doors as well but apparently the darn bear tries all the doors and hatch every night because twice my husband for got to relock it and more food was spread around for the chickens...
Hmmm now that I think about it I wonder if the chickens made a deal with the bear. Anyways I was sort of hoping that one of you would like a huge black bear for a pet...or something.
I am getting awful tired of buying food. He would make a great night watchman...honest. !! lol

wow..thats scary and cool at the same time! What a smart bear!!
smile.png

When we lived in the mountains, eons ago, I was expanding my studio so the construction left part of it open enough that 2 bear cubs found their way inside. Of course they trashed the place. But the funniest part is that they apparently ate several jars of glaze and underglaze (all nontoxic fortunately) and for days we could follow where they'd been by the piles of pink, purple, orange, and green poop they left behind!

lau.gif

Rusty

bears can get into a vehicle even if the doors are locked. They will just smash and claw their way in. You might want to move the food to a building or something else. Good luck.

I agree about moving the feed. One of my favorite episodes of "Pimp My Ride" was of the car trashed by a bear after some granola bars or something. It was shredded.

Yeah I know..this bear is a regular to our place..we are on his route and he is always in the yard. so far he just sits and watches the chickens. He is not too crazy about my dogs either even tho he has about 300 lbs on them lol my boy thor is 140 but he is still small compared to ben.. that's the bear.. we figure that any thing in our yard this much needs a name. He is a huge bear. he never did go to sleep this winter. It was too warm here and besides which we had too much food for him to try and figure out how to get. It gets to be a sort of game here.. which is smarter. My husband or the bear.. ssssshhhhhh dont say I said so but I think the bear is winning.

Do everything in your power the get the bear to move on. Now that it knows there is food to be had, this will be hard. I need not tell you, the bear is a danger to you, your family and your animals. They, it, will enter your house at some time if you are not careful. Keep a gun close at hand. No one wants to kill any animal just to be killing it, but you may have to. I have had 2 bears try to enter my home while I was in it. Needless to say, they made very good bacon and a few nice roasts. Any predator seen on my property is despatched the second time it is seen. Sometimes on the first visit if it gets to close to my house or critters. We here at BYC do not want to hear any horror story about you or yours.

Back
Top Bottom